A Thought On Playing "Immigrant Song"

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Bunk McNulty, Jun 15, 2021.

1. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    I can’t slow down. If I stop to think how I’m doing it, I won’t be able to do it.

hrodbert696 likes this.
  2. nabilhuakbar

nabilhuakbar

Jan 13, 2020
    Utah
    I'm like you. I get to the point where it's all muscle memory and I do better just letting my fingers and brain do their thing without me interrupting it.

timplog and Bunk McNulty like this.
  3. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I bet you could probably play it just fine, and maybe even better if you slow down and think about it. How many times have you tried? I don’t think slowing down a song you can play well already is an insurmountable goal.

pmad_bass and Groove Doctor like this.
  4. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member

We play it, always fun. That A-B-C run in the "chorus" or whatever you want to call that bit is a nice opening to stretch out.

petrus61 likes this.
  5. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    I play it the way I play it because I learned--right here at TB--that the way to play a lick fast is to start by playing it extra slow. And now it's just automatic, so if I start thinking about how I'm doing it, I just go off the rails.

timplog and hrodbert696 like this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021