A thought on Rickenbackers

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by slowburnaz, Nov 24, 2003.

1. slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Ok, here's what I'm thinking, and wondering if it would be feasible:

Let's say you take a Ric, get rid of the Ric-O-Sound, and instead wire each pickup in mono to each output jack separately. Then, would it work to go from the bridge pickup to a distortion box (for a little grit) then to a Y-splitter/joiner, and from the neck pickup directly to the Y-splitter/joiner, then into the input of the amp? Would this screw up the signal too much, or do you think it would accurately reproduce the sound of an unaffected neck pickup output mixed with a slightly distorted bridge pickup?

Do I even know what I'm talking about? I'm not sure myself... lol.
  2. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    I Was thinking about doing that also, but what if you couldn't find a Y-cable to purchase if you just wanted to run into 1 amp with 1 input? OOH! what if you ran the neck into the input, and the bridge in the the "power amp in" jack, or vice-versa? Would that work?

Frankly, i'm too scared to mod my Ric. The Ric-O-Sound would be sweet, but i want to try it first before spending $100 on it...
  3. slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Well, you wouldn't need a Y-cable... just a splitter that joins 2 1/4" jacks to 1 1/4" jack. They're readily available.
  4. Armchair Thief

Armchair Thief Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    You don't really need a Ric-O-Sound box, just your basic good-quality stereo TRS 1/4" to separate right/left mono 1/4" cable/adapter will do. I've messed around with Ric-O-Sound in this way and I never noticed hum or a loss of treble response like Rickenbacker warns you about.

Though I've heard conflicting reports about the Ric-O-Sound box. Some have said it's nothing more than a fancy stereo to two mono adaptor, others have said there's some "extra" stuff in it. Anyone here own one, and has cracked it open to take a peek inside? :)
  5. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I Have the Ric-o-sound box, and I did take a peek
    inside once. I saw what I think are Diodes on
    the wires. I use the Box and it works great. I can
    switch from one p/u to the other, or blend the sound.
  6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    It can be done just fine, but IMO the neck pickup as the sole dry pickup sounds terrible. Not just on a Rick, but on almost ANY bass.