a thousand bucks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PinkTelephone, Mar 7, 2005.

1. I just sold my old paintball gun for 500 bucks and i was saving for a schecter c4 and have about 300. but now that i have a job and lots of money i was thinking about spending around a grand on a new bass... anyone think of some nice good basses for around 700 - 1200? thanks.
  2. A few I can think of off the bat

Warwick Corvette
    Fender American Standard and Deluxe Series stuff
    Spector's stuff
    Musicman Stingray and Sterling
    and so many more
  3. NCorder

NCorder Smoke-free since 4/3/05

Dec 26, 2002
    Dayton, OH
    For $1,200 you can buy my Warwick Thumb 5. :D
    Click on the link below to go to its For Sale ad in the classified section.
  4. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Really depends on what style of music you are playing -- there's a huge number of decent basses in that price range.

Four string or five string?

Modern, or "vintage" tone?

Active? Passive?

Laklands, MIA Fenders, Musicman, G&L, Rickenbacker, and too many more to name. Gotta narrow it down a bit. What players' sound do you like?
  5. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  6. For that kind of money you could probably find a Cirrus.
  7. 4 string, more "rock" based i guess, and i already have a MIA p bass, i dont want another fender that much, and the ones i do want i'm not selling out the cash for it
  8. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    For that amount the Peavey Cirrus is hard to beat. Don't let the Peavey name fool you. These are some seriously great instruments. Just short of "boutique"!
    I owned several of them for several years and they never let me down with quality, tone or customer service. You can find them new or used in that price range depending on the number of strings and woods that you're after. Check out the Peavey web site and do a search here on TB and you'll see tons of raves about them.
    Cirrus my friend....Cirrus!
  9. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

If you're into rock, and already have a fender, try a Rickenbacker 4003 and see if you like it. It's my favorite bass for Rock -- something about that growl.

My all-time favorite rock bass tone is Geddy Lee's Ric on "Exit Stage Left" -- Listen to that album and tell me that's not a killer growl. :D :D :D Of course, lots of that is Geddy's aggressive playing style -- the way he "picks" the strings with his fingers, but man, what a TONE!!!!

Chris Squire of Yes made good use of a Ric, as well.
  10. actually before i even made this thread i was gasing for a rick 4003 for weeks, i think i'm going to try them and hopefully i'll like em