Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A thread about The Dickies...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Hategear, Jun 11, 2002.

1. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I have mentioned them in a few of my posts here, but have never gotten much reaction from anyone regarding them and their careers. Since I have been listening to their Second Coming at least once a day for the past few weeks, I thought I'd start a thread and ask, "Any Dickies fans out there?"

I have done some research and found that they have been around since the Seventies (1979, I believe) and have been mentioned by Dexter Holland of The Offspring. I first got turned on to them when I bought the Killer Klowns From Outer Space soundtrack many, many years ago and I love the sound of Leonard Phillips' voice -- very unique and fits the music well.

If there are more Dickies fans out there, I'd like to see you respond to this thread in some way and if you're not a Dickies fan, see if you can download "Killer Klowns From Outer Space," "Magoomba" (or "Magoomba II"), "Booby Trap," "Jim Bowie," or "Cross-Eyed Tammy."

2. Hategear

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
  3. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    I like the Dickies a lot...

4. I don't remember much about them. I think I used to have a compilation album where they did the "Banana Splits" theme song.

5. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    You have to be TWISTED to admit you are a Dickies fan! Hence, there are a lot of closet "Dickheads" out there. My exposure to them was through the guitar player in my old band. He loved 'em! Halloween '94, I found myself on tour in the middle of the country(Milwaukee) with a night off and who was playing that night-The Dickies and Gwar! Probably my best Halloween ever! You know it is going to be an interesting show when the lead singer is singing songs to a sock puppet(that represents his "member"). Great show! We actually started covering "You drive me ape,you big gorilla" as our third(and final) encore for the rest of the tour. It was funny because we new that was our last song and we would go ballistic and leave it all on the stage! They are a lot of fun.

6. Hategear

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    The Dickies and GWAR -- in Milwaukee -- at the same time -- on the same tour? I guess dreams can come true!

Halloween of 1994 would have been a few months before my first GWAR concert (in 1995).

7. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    The opening band was Buzzoven, but they kinda sucked so they didn't get a mention...surrealistic nonetheless. All Hallows Eve in the home of way too many breweries! I got to party with the girl that got "eaten" at the end of the show...she was dressed like Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz. Weird,Weird,Weird.