A thread dedicated to the genius of Aphex Twin

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Vorago, Jun 18, 2005.

1. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    We already had a Squarepusher thread, so now it's time for a thread about his label companion Aphex Twin. I absolutely love his music, he's my favourite electronic artist, and is defenitly in my all time top 5. One of my favourite albums is the second disc from the "26 remixes for cash" album.

Other fans here, and btw, did anyone hear Analord?

2. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    No fans here? Too bad, he's less "organic" than Squarepusher, but if you like electronic music, this is a must!
  3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I have every single aphex twin recording ever released.
  4. Syeknom

Oct 17, 2004
    Leuven, Belgium
    Aphex Twin is brilliant, and comes from where I live ^.^

He practically invented IDM as well.
  5. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    He's cool, but I don't have any cd's. I will probably buy something next time I get the chance.
  6. Aphex Twin is killer ! I have a lot of his stuff (all I can find anyway)
    Also "Rubber Johnny "a short film by Chris Cunningham(the director of the Windowlicker & Come to Daddy videos) is due out here in the states July 12th. It looks really uh......Chris Cunningham/Aphex Twinish(?) and is synced to a track off of the Drukqs album.http://www.rubberjohnny.tv/
  7. I have Come to Daddy and Windowlicker on DVD, but that's about it.

I have vowed never to watch Windowlicker under my own will ever again. However, I am happy to sit down and watch Come to Daddy.
  8. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    New Orleans, LA
    yeah i love the ambient works stuff.
  9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Aphex Twin is a musical genius, and I never use the term lightly. He's one of very few artists whose recordings I savor... that is, I only play them when I can listen carefully.

I saw him in concert once. He performed the entire show on a laptop while reclining on a pewter velour sofa. Visual entertainment was provided by a pair of dancers in brightly colored fuzzy teddy bear costumes. I think the statement was, "you're here for the music, not the bling bling". :p The music was indeed brilliant!
  10. Muckaluck

Oct 11, 2005
    Whitby, Ontario
    That come to daddy video gave me nightmares for 3 weeks.

Good hard aggressive stuff for sure.
  11. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Richard is an absolute legend (I use his name because he has recorded under a lot of psuedonyms). I'm a huge fan of his work, he is absolutely at the top of the electronic music field imo.

The Richard D. James album is his best work imo, it's just full of brilliant tunes. Though to label his music as "aggressive" is completely inaccurate, I think pretty much every record he does has different textures and tones, some of them more aggressive than others.

Some of my other favourite albums by him are the Donkey Rhubarb EP (because that song is incredible), the "Come to Daddy" EP, "Windowlicker", "I Care Because You Do" and his first voulme of "Selected Ambient Works".

The one album by him I don't care for music is "Expert Knob Twiddlers" by Mike and Rich (Mike Paradinas aka µ-Ziq and Richard). While the artwork is excellent, the music lacks spirit and spark. It should be great but it's evident that Richard is best left to work alone. The record is just full of semi-typical µ-Ziq sounds, and it doesn't sound like Richard has had much to do with it! So that was a disappointment, but the majority of AFX/Aphex Twin/Polygon Window/Blue Calx/whatever stuff is excellent.
  12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    A bit on the colder side of IDM for me, but some very very impressive music. If anyone ever doubts the legitimacy of electronica, there is obviously a musician putting these songs together, it's not just messing around in Fruity Loops or whatever. (Like I do. :meh: )