1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A time to be silent and a time to speak

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by slobake, Oct 25, 2013.

1. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

This week I opened my big mouth and when I should know better.
    I was peddling my bike to work when another cyclist zipped by me. He was close enough that I could smell his cheap cologne. Then he did the same thing to several other riders. There was plenty of room and all that manuevering really wasn't necessary. If I had done a quick dodge of a road hazard or car I would have nailed him.I just reacted with "Really?"
    When we hit the next red light I pulled up next to him and said "I mean really.."
    He told me if I was going ride slowly I should pull over to the right. I told him I am not the fastest rider nor the slowest so how do we decide who pulls over. I also suggested a quick warning like "On your left" would help. The conversation went no where from there. He insisted I pull over for him. When the light turned green I couldn't contain myself. There was a group of about 15 cylists and I shouted out.
    "EVERYONE MAKE WAY HERE COMES THE KING. MAKE WAY FOR THE KING," and laughed.
    He looked at me and said "You have issues," and rode away. .
    Of course he is right I do have issues. Nothing was accomplished except maybe irratating him.
    I know there are times to speak up but this wasn't one.
    What about it sisters and brothers? Are there times when you spoke up when you should or should not have? Are there times when you should have spoke up but didn't ?

2. Ziltoid

Ziltoid I don't play bass

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    It's an expertise of mine to speak when I shouldn't.

3. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I never say anything until I blow.

4. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    One thing I've learned is that some battles just aren't worth fighting. It's not rolling over or throwing up the white flag. It's just at the end of the day, getting caught up in a battle oftentimes isn't worth it.

5. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Jul 7, 2009
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    I think that's kind of funny.

6. Doctor_Clock

Doctor_Clock The Moon Machine Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY
    I open my big mouth all the time when I shouldn't..it happens.
    I do have to say this, that ever since I have joined this forum I read all of your posts in Peter Falk's voice and it is always awesome!

7. Fawkesguy

Fawkesguy The sea refuses no river.

Mar 5, 2005
    NJ
    You shouldn't talk when your mouth is full. awesome.

8. I am a repeat offender on both sides. Have yet to find that "middle ground"

9. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Sometimes it's best not to let little things like that bother you. After all, do you think what you said will ever change that guy's behavior or the behavior of any other guy like him?

On the other hand, I do think it's good to call people out on their crap. Maybe you saying something won't change him, but if many others spoke up and said the same thing then maybe it'd eventually sink in and cause some real change.

10. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Breaking balls is way of life. Carry on soldier.

11. slobake

Yessir, I have a black belt in that one. :ninja: For a while I went overboard in the opposite direction. Now I am trying to find a balance.

12. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    I'm surprised you were surprised by the arrogant serenely self-important San Francisco cyclist. They're kind of a stereotype...

I should probably speak up more than I do but -- bass-playing engineer-type here - more than a little introverted... Once upon a time I was more outspoken, but I think I have learned tolerance if not wisdom...

13. slobake

:p Glad to be of service. Maybe I should have talked to this guy in a Columbo voice.

14. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Doesn't cycling etiquette call for an "on your left" whenever passing another rider?

15. slobake

I guess that would include me as well. I am a San Francisco cylcilst. I find that most people on the street, drivers, cylists and pedestrians are just normal folks trying to get somewhere. There are a few Bozos in each group that ruin it for the rest of us and re-inforce stereotypes.

16. ArtechnikA

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    From the perspective of the Center of the Universe, he is standing still and you are travelling backward on his right...

17. Texan

Texan 667 Neighbor of the Beast. Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Houston, TX
    You are not the only one...but can Slobake do the lazy eye thing too?

Speaking up at the proper time and staying quiet at the proper time is an art that I have not yet perfected.

18. ArtechnikA

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    No, I see a distinction. There are the normal cyclists, such as you describe. And then there's the sub-type I mentioned. There's enough of them in many places that they tend to stand out. (Have you followed the comic strip 'Pearls Before Swine'? The 'Cyclist Jef' character is classic...)

Not as many cyclists in the Northeast... I know San Francisco is old by West Coast standards, but Philadelphia was built up 350 years ago with streets that were too narrow for the horsedrawn-carriage traffic of the day. Add in brutal winters and - well - it just hasn't caught on.

19. slobake

I love Columbo but I am not willing to give up an eye to be more like him. The wrinkled trench coat is cool though.

20. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    We must be clones dude.. I get the same passive/aggressive HAVE-to-say-something all the time. I've been working hard at controlling it. It's gotten me into some situations that I really didnt want to be in... not good.