A tiny problem with my amp.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GilGB, Aug 2, 2009.

1. GilGB

GilGB

Aug 14, 2007
    I bought myself an Ashdown MAG C-115-300W amp 2 years ago and know he is doing some wierd noises.
    When i am increasing or lowering the level of the input level,the amp is doing sort of "kss" sounds like something happend to the cabinet.
    I didn't have any problems with this amp till now,I hope someone got an answer.

Thanks in advance,
    Gil.

2. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Is it just when you're adjusting the knobs?

3. GilGB

GilGB

Aug 14, 2007
    Only when i am adjusting the Input level knob.

4. deoxit and turn the knob till the dirt is gone

5. GilGB

GilGB

Aug 14, 2007
    Hmm should i take the knob off and then put the Deoxit around it?

6. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Inactive Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Hi GilGB.

Electrical contact cleaner ('Deoxit') must be sprayed into the potentiometer which is making the noise. (Brief squirts only. Long ones can freeze the pot's innards causing damage.)

This involves first dismantling your amp - with the amp unplugged from any AC outlet - to the degree required to access the pots.

Since you seem to be unfamiliar with this procedure, you may wish to enlist the aid of a knowledgeable friend (or take your amp to a tech) while you observe and learn.

7. Foz

Foz

Jul 26, 2008
    Jax FL USA
    get a can of Caig Deoxit

http://accessories.musiciansfriend....venator-5-oz.?sku=429167&src=3WNTWXX&ZYXSEM=0

Unplug the amp

Remove the knobs and stand the amp on its back - face up so the potentiometer shafts are all stick up.

put a tiny shot of the Deoxit onto each shaft and let it run down the shaft into the pot

Then twiddle every knob back and forth from all the way on to all the way off - do this a couple of dozen times to each shaft.

You might want to repeat the procedure a couple of times on your scratchy knob to assure it gets a good rinse and scrub

====

extra credit

Put a tiny shot in every jack [input, output, send, receive, etcetera] and then run a plug vigorously in and out of every jack - follow up with a quick swirl and swipe with a q-tip swab inside each jack. If the Q-tip comes out dirty, give that jack another tiny shot and switch to a clean Q-tip - repeat until the Q-tip swab comes out clean.