1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A title for Jaco, and the next book you might want to read "Outliers"

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Willopis, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Willopis

Willopis

Aug 25, 2012
    SoCal
    My son arrived home from Cornell,he's in pre med,and he was like Dad, you have to read this book
    my girlfriend gave me.
    Here is the ad from Amazon:

In this stunning new book, Malcolm Gladwell takes us on an intellectual journey through the world of "outliers"--the best and the brightest, the most famous and the most successful. He asks the question: what makes high-achievers different?

His answer is that we pay too much attention to what successful people are like, and too little attention to where they are from: that is, their culture, their family, their generation, and the idiosyncratic experiences of their upbringing. Along the way he explains the secrets of software billionaires, what it takes to be a great soccer player, why Asians are good at math, and what made the Beatles the greatest rock band.
    The book is truly fascinating, and it dawned on me, Jaco is to the bass,what Bill Gates was to software,
    the beatles to pop music etc., a true outlier, the time of birth, the all night jam sessions,
    Alphonso leaving an opening in Weather Report.
    Check it out and see if you agree,

2. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

Jul 30, 2012
    "Outliers" is a good book, came out a while ago though! 10,000 hours.
    You can bet that Jaco put in his 10,000 hours by the time he was in Weather Report with all that gigging he did with Wayne Cochran and the C.C. Riders.

3. Willopis

Willopis

Aug 25, 2012
    SoCal
    How about the Dead,
    you know Phil Lesh hit 10,000 live hours with all those
    electric kool aid acid shows.