1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A Tobias finish question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dadofsix, May 9, 2010.

1. I recently purchased a 1997 Tobias Growler five-string bass. She is a sweet little beastie with a beautiful neck and is well on her way to making me rethink my position on the usefulness of having a low B while playing.

Unfortunately, she has some marring to her satin finish. In some places it is just a slight mis-coloration but in others, you can actually feel the wood's grain a wee bit. I note in the owners manual that Gibson carried a Satin Finish repair kit back when the beastie was young. I've tried to get some info on the repair kit from Gibson's Service Department but, so far, I've heard nothing. Don't get me wrong, I will proudly play this little beastie. It feels great and sounds unlike any of my other basses. But, if there is a easy way to remedy the marring to its finish I would love to do it. Has anyone out there had a similar problem? If you tried to remedy it, were you successful? If you were successful, what did you use to accomplish it? The little beastie and I thank you for your kind responses.

<><Peace