Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A Tobias question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by strangemusic, Sep 3, 2005.

1. I was at my local music store today and decided to try out a used Tobias Growler 4 that they had on the wall. It had double stacked bass/treble, global volume/pan, and Mid toggle switches for both coils.... and it sounded pretty damn good! Unfortunately, being absentminded and pressed for time, I forgot to ask whether it was a Pre-Gibson model or a Post-Gibson one... so, I was wondering, what visual distinctions (i.e headstock, maybe?) might one make as to the bass being pre-or-post-Gibson-era?

2. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    ALL Growlers are post-Gibson era basses, Mike Tobias had nothing to do with them.

They are typical Gibson product basses, hit-or-miss quality wise, some are VERY good, and some are...

...well, my momma always told me if you ain't got nothin' good to say...

;)

3. thanks for the response.... *ignoramus head-slap to self*

Based on my initial looking-over, this particular one seemed to be of the "OK" variety... i've heard similar tales about the Gibson Tobiases from these boards, so it appears that some distinct care is in order.

4. Bassis78

Bassis78

Dec 22, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Hey bro...

I own one and I converted it to a Tenor bass. It works lovely and I enjoy it immensely! Just make sure you play it A LOT before you buy it and make sure that absolutely love it!!! Cuz if you don't, you'll regret it!!

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Resale value not good?

I find it a little crazy that people will still buy Tobias basses when you can get closer to the real thing with an MTD...

Granted, they have a special charm of their own, but still...

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Do the Orlando-made Tobiases command any extra on the collector's market than the ones he made in NY?

7. Bassist30

Bassist30

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    Probably. That is where Mike Tobias set up shop before he went to LA. What is the serial number?

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Oh, I don't have one. I just know quite a few people with them. I know a couple of guys who have totally pristine Orlando Tobiases, too. I don't know how they manage to keep them from getting dinged up after 25 years, but they have. I was just curious if they were worth more than NY models.

9. Bassist30

Bassist30

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    The New York models are the MTD basses. I guess any tobias pre gibson is worth alot. I played one of his earlier ones before the one I have. Serial number was around 500. Interesting the head stock was not yet tilted back. I have one just before he sold it to Gibson. About 80 numbers shy of his selling. Great guy and very creative. Like the shapes of his necks. The wood combinations. But I think down the road the older will be worth more than the ones he made in LA.

10. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    It's crazy, but some of us actually prefer the older "Tobias" body shape and Michael T's "design philosophy" (neck-through, multi-laminations, etc.) ;)

I absolutely agree that it's crazy to buy a current Gibson Tobias given the horrendous QC issues and overpricing, but comparing old-school Tobias' to new MTDs is like comparing apples to oranges that were simply grown by the same farmer.

11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Mike was doing a tiltback headstock from the very beginning. I have #196 and 308.

:hyper:

12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Meaning Gibson versions?

The pre-Gibson models are different basses from MTDs. I have both, think both are excellent and could easily see why someone would buy either... or both.

13. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    The poster's original question was about a Gibson Tobias and I posted my question with that fact in mind.

C'mon guys, give me some credit... :p

14. Bassist30

Bassist30

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    Maybe he did a few that way. Im not sure. I never played an earlier Tobias than the one I tried. Wow maybe I should have bought it as it could be a one of a kind.