a TOBY pro5 539.99 only?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 112, Aug 26, 2001.

1. 112

Aug 4, 2001
    is that possible? a toby pro5 is just $539.99! i saw it from the site:www.musicyo.com it is not second hand and the original price is $1199. the price is attractive! cos i never try that bass before, can anyone give me some comments of that bass? thank you
  2. Toby = Tobias ?

go for it ! tobias basses rule
  3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The $1199 price is a Carvin-esque move... that bass never sold for anywhere near that.

Those basses are Korean manufactured takes on Mike's design, which he sold to Gibson over 10 years ago. It's a decent bass for the price but don't confuse it with earlier non-Gibson era basses.

For an excellent Tobias designed 5 that costs less than the bass you mentioned, check out the MTD Kingston 5 from MTD (Michael Tobias Design). It's also made in Korea but the difference between the two is night and day.
  4. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Anybody ever taken that butt-ugly pick guard off a Kingston? I was just wondering if there were any odd body rout's or something else that would stop you.

Throw out the pick guard, put a good pre amp in there, might make a nice project. Hmmmm.