Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

a TOBY pro5 539.99 only?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 112, Aug 26, 2001.

1. 112

Aug 4, 2001
    is that possible? a toby pro5 is just $539.99! i saw it from the site:www.musicyo.com it is not second hand and the original price is $1199. the price is attractive! cos i never try that bass before, can anyone give me some comments of that bass? thank you

2. Toby = Tobias ?

go for it ! tobias basses rule

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The $1199 price is a Carvin-esque move... that bass never sold for anywhere near that.

Those basses are Korean manufactured takes on Mike's design, which he sold to Gibson over 10 years ago. It's a decent bass for the price but don't confuse it with earlier non-Gibson era basses.

For an excellent Tobias designed 5 that costs less than the bass you mentioned, check out the MTD Kingston 5 from MTD (Michael Tobias Design). It's also made in Korea but the difference between the two is night and day.

4. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Anybody ever taken that butt-ugly pick guard off a Kingston? I was just wondering if there were any odd body rout's or something else that would stop you.

Throw out the pick guard, put a good pre amp in there, might make a nice project. Hmmmm.