A ton of first band (opportunity) questions, and more...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Obsolex, Aug 1, 2003.

1. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    Ok, I have this opportunity to take over one of my semi-friends place in his band since he moved... They asked me to take his place around December, and they were the flakiest mo-fo's i've ever met.
    Anyway, they are kind of melodic (extremely), metal, speed metal, and trippy stuff. Yeah there druggies too, don't worry though, i'm not :cool: :bassist: .
    But the first time i've jammed with them since Decemer(ish) was 2 days ago, and then again today. They are extremely good, the drummer is near pro, and the guitarist pretty much can rip it up.
    All the stuff that they make though, is based around the bass playing chords, and lame backup $#it. And I really wanna be out upfront with my own lines and stuff. But I don't really want to ask them to change anything, because it's sounds really really good already, but i'd kind of have to, unless I want to be the guy that they could replace every practice or two.
    So how do I ask him, without putting him (the guitarist) down, to leave me some room. Whenever I ask to change something, he kind of gets put down really easily. Or should I just try my hardest to make stuff up to these songs that are pretty much already done? It seems near impossible.
    Should I just jam with them for a little while, until I find some people that can give me some more room, and stick with it just for the practice, for me though?
    It seems kinda weird though, they both think that i'm off the heezie (lolz) at bass (which I don't though), but they still don't really leave any room for me...
  2. Personally...I'd inform the band that you are going to try and add fills,so that the whole band stands out,in different "levels" and just let them give you a chance. If they don't,then screw 'em. Do what you want,and Play what you like...Never,ever change :)

3. I get the impression you've got some reservations about playing with these guys. Personally, I think there's plenty of decent drummers and guitar players out there. So now, if I don't get good vibes about a group of guys, forget it, I'll move on and look for something better.

Believe me, it's easy to sound good, even semi-pro, it just takes practive and time. The first few bands I played with, I was amazed at how good it sounded and how great the groove could be. Now I realize that's the way it should be with any group of decent musicians.

And if they're into drugging, IMHO there will eventually be major problems. If your instincts tell you to keep out of this mess, trust your instincts and move on.
  4. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    What I think i'll do, is pracice with them regularly, but try finding other people. I'll have to lug over my rig (when I get my head) over there whenever we practice, and bring it home so I can lug it over to someone elses, lolz.
    I dunno, I really, really dig there stuff, but I kind of got the feeling that, they thought that a bassist doesn't really acount for anything.
    Then think i'm awsome, (don't worry, I don't) but they think that bass is mostly background for there type of music, which it doesn't have to be.
  5. I know your awesome :D I jam with you all the time! hehe. But anyways dude, I really dig that song "Chill Song" and love the bass line :D Personally I think you should make up some riffs and present them to them. And just to back Obsolex's statements up...THEY ARE DAMNED GOOD! The drummer was on Public TV at a drumming competition and got like 2nd place or something in his division....HE IS HELLA GOOD! I wish I could jam with him sometimes, but I personally don't know him (but he is on the wrestling team with my bro). But yeah dude...make some stuff up and present it to them and see how they like it :D I know when me and my two guitarist friends get together to jam I usually have something made up and they add to it or they have something made up and I add to it. I think that is a really good way to go about things. Peace dude ~ Tyler
  6. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    Yeah, he got 2nd place in one of two divisions. And he's only 15!! Really close 16. But yeah, I think I just gotta step up and represent, yeahyeah. Hahaha, lolz. I might jam with them tomorrow too, that'll be fun.
    Yeah, he's on the wrestlng team with your broher. I think he's the only guy that your broter doesn't acutally hit on... lolz...
  7. LOL! Yeah man, Matt rules. Also yeah, thanks for taking my advice on presenting some stuff to them :D It's always fun to come up with stuff to something already made!

edit: Gimmie my cable back :\ Mine died this afternoon!
  8. eh trust me there is a good amount of good drummers out there and tons of good guitarist, if you don't like the band, and don't like playing then quit. when you get work and a car. the musicians will come. my drummer is VERY good and he's my brother on most ****. so it works out very good. we had a couple of crappy guitarist-we easily kicked out rudely. then the good players came in and we have found our people. but i could replace my drummer in about 2 seconds with a call to a drummer who is AWESOME 9-piece machine i swear. so there is never a problem if you look in the right places. hardest thing to find is a good unique singer i say.
  9. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    I feel you should play with them for a while, Then you and the group will find your own grove, then you can start in with your fills and what-nots. You can not come in and take over there material. After time if you and the band play well together you will be able to improve some of the stuff they have now.
  10. DeepDeath, where we live (Obsolex and I) drummers are HARD to find. I've searched forums, posted fliers and checked drum shops as well as asked around at school, and no luck. There are quite a few good guitarists here though, and I'm lucky to jam with two that aren't druggies and love to play :D
  11. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    Yeah I think I'll stick for a while.
  12. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Hate to say it but this won't be the last time.

It doesn't matter how much crazy stuff you can play - probably 80% of the guys you ever play with will only want you to do background stuff.

This is especially the case with skilled/busy guitar players. Many of them aren't used to bass players that play lots of notes, and they probably won't want the added complexity.

If you really want your parts to be up front, I'd suggest forming your own band instead.
  13. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    I dunno. I've jammed with them probably about 6 times from my original post, and I really dig there stuff. Yesterday we did a cover, and I get a really good vibe now.
  14. Since the guitar amp was turned down and you didn't have to have the 160watt bass amp turned up full with everything else full to and still barely be heard? I'd say thats an improvement!
  15. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    Yeah, I just made it so there was more bass, and not as much tone. Because it's not that big of a deal not having the right exact tone for a few weeks, I mean, hell, I get my SVT-3 in about 6 days :):).
  16. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
  17. waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    Cassanova is right on here. If you are looking to jam in a band where you can be up front, all you'll ever do is jam. Lay down a solid foundation and you'll always have a gig. Some musicians only hear what they want and have no time for your ideas. Pick them out early and avoid them unless you like butting heads. I made mistakes early on with trying to get too complicated and I never found a gig. Now it is simple, solid and tasty.
    This band has to realize that you have skills and ideas to make the music good. Don't try to reinvent everything, but make it your own version if it's good stuff. If they want you, they'll listen. If they want a mokey, let them go to the zoo.
  18. waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    Oh yeah....people tend to hang on to great drummers because they are....great. Funny thing though, same goes for bassists. Everyone wants to be Eddie Van Halen (dating myself here), the spotlight is nice, but bass players are less glamourous and more in demand. I'd rather be more in demand that lost in the crowd.
  19. Not tryin to take over talking for Obsolex here, but the guitarist and drummer had been jamming together before Obsolex came in and they gave him a CD of some recordings they made so he could make up some parts to them, and he was over here and was playing a part he made up with the CD they gave him, and I'll have to say that he isn't getting the total spotlight, but he isn't getting shoved to the back to be a stage ornament.

The parts he made up stand out, but dont stand out so much that everyone watches him constantly.

I think (this is my opinion) that they are trying to make it so that everyone is represented equally in their playing instead of 1 person having all the glory and the other 2 just being there to fill in the rest.

Just my opinion from speaking with him and him being over here and talking about it and playing along with that CD. ~ Tyler
  20. waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    The way you explain it, I don't see any problem. Of course the songwriter is going to have ideas about how the parts of his song are going to be played. Leaving it open to interpretaion to the people he has chosen to play with will help the song grow and become theirs not just his. I've brought many songs to my band that I thought I had down. After jamming, they were better because I can't play the other parts as well. We developed it together. Don't go playing disco for a country song. If it's already recorded and considered a finished song, learn it and add your own touch to it. You'll have more creative control when you are all writing songs together. Is this a band who you can see yourself playing with down the road or are you just a hired gun? As far as the advice from Cassanova and myself about simple solid playing, that's just experience talking and something you'll come to yourself down the road. Good luck, being in a band and getting that applause is still the best therapy I know and a great way to improve your skills.