Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A Tony Levin Effect

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Petary791, Oct 10, 2005.

1. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    So I was thinking, Tony Levin has a signature sound. It comes from a huge amount of compression and a Phase 90. Does someone agree with me that someone should make a T.Lev signature pedal? I mean Digitech makes that Eric Clapton Crossroads, and The Weapon, why not a Tony Levin effect? It wouldn't even need to be a pedal, why not just make a looop or something? Am I just rambling?

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I think his fingers would have to come with it.

3. the funk fingers? do it...

my ART nightbass SE has a patch called "levin lust" which sounds a lot like that...its pretty sweet...

i think digitech should make some sig. bass pedals, i'm not sure about levin, butsomeone...that would be cool...

4. I hate those digitech pedals. Like, if it's something like a wah+distortion pedal (in responce to the eric clapton pedal) then I'd be fine, but it seems the only real use is for people who play along to cream records.

5. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    That's the only reason why I would get ANY signature pedal!

Here's question. How does he compress sooooo much? Is it multiple compressors, or just one set really high, or what?

6. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    What a profound revelation.

7. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I don't know if they can get that much compression in 1 box.

TL's main effects are
    Octaver (Boss oc-2)
    Big Muff
    Chorus
    and tons of compression

8. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Yeah, I was thinking that. How does he compress so much? He has a rackmounted compressor right?

9. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    I think I read he tends to take about 8 compressors on the road with him.

I know he uses Analogman Bi compROSSor, but seems to be only on the Juicer side.

He also uses a rack mount compressor called a distressor or something along those line,

it kinda hard to find out his exact rig but even with all this compression you will never sound like Tony Levin.

Just like all the people who bought the Yamaha NE-1 and didn't sound like Nathan East :D

10. mksolid

mksolid

Jan 4, 2005
    Brooklyn
    someone had a pic up, and he compresses apparently with analogmike's bi-comp

11. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Yeah but the conclusion of that thread was that most of his gear was all packed up ready for his tour round europe