Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A tool after my own heart

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Hambone, Jan 7, 2006.

1. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    Did you order one? If so you'll have to give us a report. That thing could definetly save me some time and energy.

2. I'd be very careful with this tool. Most drillpresses use a non-locked morse cone for connecting the drill head to the main spindle. They are absolutely not capable of taking radial (sideways) loads and will release as soon as they get the chance. Keep the belt pre-tension as low as possible....

Cheers Rody

3. I have taken steps to lock my chuck to the spindle. There wouldn't be a problem. I just don't have a strong need for one.

4. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    interesting the "floppy" belt might come in handy.....t

5. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Very cute!
    ... providing that the drill press is up to the side forces, as mentioned.

6. great googly moogly, I love that. Nice!

7. dooft11

dooft11 Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2003
    HongKong
    i am longing for a test report.

8. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    ditto

9. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    To countertalk my previous post on the subject...:rolleyes:

If you use the flat support, i.e. sand straight, the side load on the spindle would be very little.

When you do curved sanding, you should use the spindle of the attachmnat, i.e. the one that sits on the beam clamped to the pillar. Then the side load on the drill spindle will be miniscule.

The problem remains, though, if you go for the floppy belt variant. But unless you put very much pressure on the belt, most drill presses will cope well with the small amount of side load. But, as always...take care!

10. When using the flat support, the load from sanding will indeed be low. But the problem is that belt-sanders need quite high belt pretension to prevent slip. That is the load I'm worried about....

Cheers Rody

11. Wow! Great find! I've got to get one. I'm sure it will take part in my next build. I've been wanting a sander, but the money and workspace haven't allowed it. This is IT!