1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A total amateur's adventures in learning some restoration skills with a 1981 Ibanez Blazer

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by sjhs, Mar 9, 2016.

1. I recently bought a 1981 Ibanez Blazer that is in need of some TLC, so I've decided that I'm going to teach myself some restoration skills while bringing it back to life. The obvious issues I noticed immediately were a badly corroded brass bridge, the maple fretboard has worn through in a few places so there is some discolouration, the bass has obviously been played frequently throughout it's life and the frets are worn down and a full re-fret is probably in order, the pots are scratchy/stuck and need work or replacing, a previous owner has scratched marks into the pickguard around the knobs because I have no idea why and some of the tuners are loose. There are likely more issues, that's just what I can think of off the top of my head.

Here's a view of it from the auction site I bought it from... you can't see the state it was in and it's now in pieces so I can't take a good quality before pic :-/

lRlPkzr.

Yesterday I decided to start with the bridge, and finished it off today...

2. praisegig

praisegig Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Stephenville, TX
    Great start, keep it coming

3. Nice, can't wait for the rest!

4. Andii Syckz

Andii Syckz

Jan 2, 2011
    Montreal
    Hell yeh!

5. JustForSport