A Total new-guy has some questions for you

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dr. Jones, Aug 10, 2002.

1. Truth be told, I'm a drummer who's tired of being locked down to a drum set. I'm making the move from drums to bass but, aside from some screwing around and filling in for friend's bands every once in a while (punk bands... not too hard to leard their songs) I really haven't gotten down to learning much.

For instance, what's good gear for little cash. Since I'm going to be buying my own gear, and I don't have a whole lot of cash to do it with... I need an idea of what I can get for as little money as possible, and not wind up with a load of garbage that'll be breaking down in a couple of months.

I'd like to get a 4-10 cab and a head, but I don't know who provides decent gear for affordable prices.

The bass I've already got.

So fire away.
  2. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    First, if you are new to bass, check out the Newbie FAQ (shameless plug). And poke around in the Amps forum, you can find all your questions answered there and more.

I don't have an Avatar cab, but people love them and they are insanely cheap. You can start there. :)
  3. awesome! That's, exactly what I was looking for. The reviews sound very positive and the price... jesus. I've been looking around for a while and I can't seem to find anything for under $500 on the cabinet tip.

Now for a head...
  4. I lost track of that thread over on TW... So what bass did you end up getting?
  5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
  6. White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    Well, here's my two cents of advice. From my profile, you can see that I own products both from Crate and SWR. Crate is lower-end stuff in general. The build quality isn't bad and the speakers are decent. They have a strong warranty and are in the lower end as far as price goes - basically you get about what you pay for. Sound? Well, I really love the sound from my BX-100, but then again I hated the sound of my BX-15 (the BX-100 puts out a TON more bass due to larger speaker and more wattage than the BX-15). They seem to be a brand that either people hate or people really like.

The SWR stuff is good, high quality equipment. Though of course this will also generally carry the premium price tag. It's durable and sounds great. SWR is often associated with the hi-fi sound that people are fond of on recordings these days. I personally don't quite like the sound as much (too much treble and not enough bass), but they are an industry standard that you can't go wrong with.

As far as a fair price goes, have a look at internet dealers (http://www.musiciansfriend.com is one) and see what the average going price for what you're looking at is.

Remember, if you buy used, be sure to check everything out first. Be wary, but also remember that you can usually get much better equipment for the same price (or the same quality equipment for a lower price) than you can new.

Here's some recommended manufacturers...
  7. captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    since you're trying to keep it cheap with the head as well, check out these units: hartke 4000, gallien-krueger 400rb, carvin r600, peavy firebass, ampeg b2r (actually, musician's friend has the b5r on sale right now for 599), and maybe the fender bassman head.

plan on spending around 500 bux, unless you go used, which isn't a bad idea - check the TB classifieds! :cool: