1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A Traynor amp was the right choice after all...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Alejandro Lozan, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Alejandro Lozan

Alejandro Lozan

Oct 31, 2006
    Last week one of my students asked me an opinon about a his first real amplifier. He used to have a tiny Ibanez 10w

So we went to the store and I told to the clerk: I want to test this Ampeg BA 115HP and this Hartke HyDrive 112C. I suppose the right choice was among these two amps. I played a Yamaha BB 414 for testing all amps.

First Ampeg, naturally. Sitted in front this one I told to my student put all in the middle, flat eq and bass also in flat but the amp didn't responded, well at this point should be sound loud, we are talking about 220w... Something strange was happening suddenly I call to the clerk and I told him hey the first knob is wrong! check it out, so he took it off using a all his force as possible. A non recommended scene for a student seeking for his new amplifier.

I told them these china people don't have quality control... what the hell? it is an Ampeg!

Well, I continue with the test... and I asked for more hi freq volume, 'cause you know this amp and others from the BA series have in the back an independent hi freq volume. Nothing happened even when the knob was close to 9 o'clock I told them please turn it off, I was disappointed.

It's time for non my favorite one but well if you wanna sell it later, will be easier. Same bass and flat eq, I said well here let's open the volume, and when the volume was on 1 or 2 o'clock the speaker started to farting... oh no! Please turn it off... where are the 250w?

I told them let's test that Marshall 150W mmmmm could be... After repeat the same process I found out the amp was loud but nothing clear, and just using the clear channel obviously. Hi freq was not clear, and the sound very dirty, like an excessive sustain.

No, "we want a amplifier where you can listening your bass as it is" then we could use the e-tuners and overdrives... The sales manager told me "Test this one, it is from Canada" at these time the store was closed and we were alone testing the amps yet. I said: Traynor, what about these brand?

He told me Yorkville bla bla bla, so ok, ok, let's give a chance to this one.

Without special features like tuners, nor effects included. Just a simple bass amplifier, a 15" speaker, one driver, when the volume was close to 11 o'clock this thing was loud and clearer than the others. 200w @4ohms for a guy looking for a new amp... great. Good materials, light, seems so serious and I told them this is the right choice over those.

I'm surprised about it. This is the amp he bought: http://www.traynoramps.com/products.asp?type=7&cat=64&id=387

2. doktorfeelgood

doktorfeelgood layin' it down like pavement Supporting Member

I have owned a Yorkville XM-50C for about 2 years now and it's strictly a practice amp in my small practice studio and I am very happy with it. It's only 50 watts with a single 10 inch driver and no horn or tweeter but it sounds very good and has plenty of juice. It's perfect for what i use it for. Lately I've been putting an Aquilar ToneHammmer in front of it as a pre-amp and it sounds really amazing. The best thing is that I only paid $289 bucks including shipping to my door. It is built like a tank and has given me no problems. Traynor /Yorkville stuff has always been good in my experience. )-(

3. Alejandro Lozan

Alejandro Lozan

Oct 31, 2006
    That test show us a good level of quality of the amplifier, I hope this one works in great conditions for many years.

4. Ive got a BM50 which is the version before the xm50 which is the version before the dynabass 50. Anyway its all good stuff if you dont want to spend tons on the best possible tube amp.

5. I also have a Yorkville XM-50C and had an old Trayner Block 40 for many years as practice amps. Not the greatest tone-wise, but very solid amps. I'm thinking of putting a SansAmp VT in front of mine just for fun...

6. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    Cool, BXR200 without the particle board.

7. Randall

Randall

Aug 6, 2009
    Canada.
    Hey I just bought a old Traynor YBA-1 from the early 70's and it is still kicking so :smug:

8. Traynors old stuff is great. I havent had a chance to even try the new stuff as none of the stores I frequent stocks it. Good to know they use ply not particle board or mdf!

9. BroKenSticKs

BroKenSticKs

Jan 11, 2010
    The new Dynabass amps are fantastic.

I'm the proud owner of a DB800 head that i recently bought after having rented one for a couple months.

What turned me on to the new traynors was renting a db300 combo. It didn't have enough juice for my loud band but the tone was fantastic. The model i rented had a single 12 in it and was super light. (well by my standards) From there i figured hey this thing sounds great but i need a proper rig so why not rent the 800 watt head...Now i own it. :)

Last week i was demoing some fuzz pedals at L&M and the bass amp they had in the iso room was the 300 combo. Sounded great just like i remembered!

10. Alejandro Lozan

Alejandro Lozan

Oct 31, 2006
    Now, after that day I could recommend some of those amplifiers, greetings to Canadian buddies!

11. Dave12

Dave12

Apr 28, 2010
    Dallas, Texas
    Thanks for this thread. I have been struggling to choose between the Traynor DB 400T and the Fender Bassman TV Duo Ten. Has anyone had the chance to compare? I love my Traynor YCS50 guitar amp!

Regards,
    Dave

12. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    See my reply to your question. I've tried almost all the Traynor stuff and own the Yorkville XM50C which I use for teaching and practice at home. For reliability and quality for price Traynor really has it.

The only amp I buy over Traynor is the GK which I have to pay more for and don't mind doing because I know I'll get my money's worth.

I've owned Fender amps in the past and was never satisfied with any of them. Back in the old days you didn't have many choices.

But both the Traynor and my little GK will outlive me and deliver all the sound I want.

The new Fender line looks great but so have many of their previous offerings. But some guys rave about them. I'm just not one of them.