1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A tribute to my old 66

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dark Horse, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Dark Horse

Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    About 11 years ago I picked up a mongrel 66 Jazz Bass for next to nothing. It was bashed up, coated in primer (what was left of it...), had a 64 P Bass neck attached, and generally speaking, a vintage collectors nightmare. It was a "players dream", however, and as far as tone and playability was second only to my 64 P bass. I've played thousands of basses, and above all the rest, the 64 P and this particular 66 Jazz "spoke" to me more than any others. Well, to make a long story short, about 4 years ago I was forced to sell one of my basses...either the 64 P or the 66 Jazz...in order to pay some medical bills. I have had the 64 for longer, and it was "barely" my bass of preference, so I opted to sell the Jazz. That sucked. I've missed it ever since. So, to that end, I set about building a fitting "tribute" to my old 66, and the beautiful mongrel that it was. In short, this bass plays and sounds great...its not quite up there with the "real" 66 it pays tribute to, but it isn't too far behind either. I couldn't find any pics of the 66...lost in a hard drive crash long ago I suspect...so I had to go from memory, but it looks and feels "right" to me.

Jazz Body in white primer...whats left of it
    Duncan Antiquities
    P bass neck
    62 J tortoise guard
    64 machine heads (real...)
    PIO tone cap
    mismatched control knobs

Just a wonderful bass. I know many of you don't like "relics", but I just wanted to share.

66f.

66b.

66d.

66e.

66c.

relictele371.

2. jbassplayer

jbassplayer

Jul 30, 2008
    Awsome!!

3. scarekrow

scarekrow

Jan 27, 2007
    I dig it too! I had a '64 in oly white & matching hdstk... cracked the body at the end of some drug crazed punk show. It still never went out of tune because of it... I used it as collateral for a couple hundred bucks to a 'friend'. He wouldn't sell it back to me (N.Canton, Ohio) and I've missed it too ever since! UUUggghhH!
    That's a way cool tribute you got goin' there, Dark Horse! I hope to have a similar ax someday.

4. What a horrible 'bass-that-got-away' story. :( Love the trib, though, & I'd say this is an entirely appropo time /place for relicing.

5. Dark Horse

Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Thanks guys !

I used it last night to record a quick late night demo. Please excuse the sloppy playing (both on guitar and bass) - at 2am I just want to get the idea down so I can go back to sleep. :)

Anyway, if you're curious as to how this bass sounds, GIVE IT A LISTEN !

:D

6. BigDaddyO

BigDaddyO Rockin' Ruben

Sep 23, 2007
    WOW

7. mobis.fr

mobis.fr

Jun 2, 2005
    germany
    sounds very good to me. nice growl. and i prefer a pbass neck on a jazz body by my self ^^

8. Dark Horse

Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX

You and I seem to be the opposite of many bassists, who like a Jazz neck on a P Bass body ! :)

9. mike_Ro11

mike_Ro11

Dec 17, 2007
    that looks awesome!!! I bet it sounds great too!!! Have fun with it!

10. mobis.fr

mobis.fr

Jun 2, 2005
    germany
    i like something big in my hand :eyebrow: :D
    thats why i love my rickenbacker v63. he has a nice tree-sitze neck. :)

11. j.a.e.r.i.p

j.a.e.r.i.p

Apr 8, 2007
    thats sweet!

12. Sad story, cool bass!

13. Dark Horse

Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Thanks guys, I'm having a blast playing it !

14. mike_Ro11

mike_Ro11

Dec 17, 2007
    I know i said this before but that bass is awesome! I cant stop looking at this thread! That bass is beautiful IMO. Glad to hear you have a good time playing it. Sorry you had to sell your 66.

15. Dark Horse

Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX

Thanks again - I'm gonna play her at tonights gig and see how she holds up to my P Basses live.