Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

a trick for double bass sound

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by spaamport, Dec 11, 2001.

1. spaamport

spaamport

Dec 10, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    i just learned a new trick while goofing around today. i was listening to my squirrel nut zippers today, and dreaming of how i could acheive a double bass tone with an electric bass guitar. well, the closest thing i found is this

with my not so high rent Ibanez GSR 200 no less, I found that, with flat woulnds on, and using only the P pickup, if i pluck right over the 12th fret, it adds this hollow tone to the sound. it works even better over the 9th, but that gets a little awkward to play. anyway, i hope someone can find this useful. i certainly thought it to be pretty cool, or else i would have kept my mouth shut.

bass is the glue of music. breathe it in.

Spaamport

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Thanks for the tip. Also welcome to the board.

3. spaamport

spaamport

Dec 10, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    thanks, i found this a couple days ago and have found it quite a resource. the least i can do is try to add what i can when i can.

4. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Couldnt you start flame wars about actives, fretless, Fieldy and religion like the rest of us?

Seriously I hope you enjoy it here as much as I do.

5. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Another way to get a pseudo-acoustic sound out of your electric is to roll off the highs, rest your hand on the bridge so you are actually muting the strings some, then pluck the strings with your thumb or a pick. I used this once on a song where they wanted "a very honky, down-home, sittin' on your back porch drinkin', country bass tone". They were pleased with the outcome. :)

6. there is no need to roll off the highs, just use the muting technique. the highs will provide a little clarity.

7. To get that upright sound, grab your p-bass for once! Rest all of your fingers just below the strings (older basses may even have little "bars" for you to rest your fingers on or under-yes that is what those silly things are for) and just gently roll your thumb over the strings. Man, what a fat sound!

8. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Here's my trick for a good acoustic sound.....

[​IMG]

9. LWatford

LWatford

Jul 28, 2001
    Helena, AL
    Nice!

What kind of "new bass" is that?
    I've been looking, everything is out of my range though.

Lee

10. spaamport

spaamport

Dec 10, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    gee whiz pacman, i never would have thought of that myself. thanks for the deep and profound insight into helping those of use who can just write a check for our "new bass" so that we can acheive the sound of an acoustic.

pants

11. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Ahh TB is FULL of Smart @$$e$ today arent they!:D

Just a little smart @$$ comment of my own..no harm meant:D

12. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    c'mon guys, don't get grumpy :D I'm just playing with you. L, that's an Englehardt M1, not too expensive at all.

13. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    How expensive is not too expensive? I've been thinking of venturing into the DB world, maybe in the next year or two, so I better start researching, eh?

Back on topic, let's not forget the foam mutes that will "deaden" the strings. I myself like to use my hand to mute near the bridge, which was described above. Also, having a fretless bass w/ flatwound strings doesn't hurt, either. The flatwound have the "thump" and quick decay that is similar to the upright.

14. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I think you could get one, set up, for 1300 or less. You could buy it for as little as 1000, but you might need to put work into it.

I'm really new to DB, and rely on my boss at work to judge, etc. He's a really good player and has considerable experience, and he's really impressed with the sound and the projection that this instrument gets.

15. Nice DB Pacman. Same model I use at my lessons.
    It does have a nice sound, and playing ARCO the thing sings. A real lot nicer than the $400 Ebay bass I practice on. Hopefuly that bass will be a planter soon. Great Neck on the thing huh? I swear my RIC has a fatter neck than the M1.

Does you teacher want you to have the bass that tall? Maybe it is a Jazz thing but my teacher (classical player)has me playing a with mine a lot shorter.

16. mjw

mjw

Jun 12, 2001
    Spring, TX USA
    So you've been playin' around my neighbors then, eh? :)

17. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska

Actually, I don't play it that tall, it's just that the stool I was sitting on is short :D

18. spaamport

spaamport

Dec 10, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    <b>the most evident conclusion that I could see was that a bunch of stuff sounded like an upright to people who don't play upright, but for almost everyone who actually played upright, none of the electric stuff sounded even close</b>

well, i actually used to play upright back in the day in school, but it didn't last because my music program sucked and so on and whatever, so needless to say i don't have a DB at the moment, nor will I in the near future based on my inability to purchase a decent one of my own.

the conclusion that <i>I</i> would come to would be that, being a bassist playing an electric bass guitar with frets, who used to play an upright, would be that if I came across something that, to me, sounded more like a DB than usual, then chances are its going to sound like DB to just about everyone except hardcore DB snobs who know what i'm doing.

hence why its called a "trick" because its not the real thing, and its not attempting to be. i'd rather pull a trick on my electric that has the implied tone of a double than buy a crappy upright that sounds terrible.

but maybe that's just me:D