1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A trip to the musicshop: A/B comparisons

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fabio_MIJ, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Fabio_MIJ

Fabio_MIJ

Feb 3, 2016
    back home
    Hi guys,

As my first thread, I'd like to make brief summary of yesterday's trip to the main musicshop in Milan (Italy), to look for a portable amp. It ended up making some A/B test of basses and amps, so maybe you'll get some useful information.

A few words about myself: 31y old, I have been playing mainly guitar for about 15 years at a semi-pro level. I recently focusing more on el. bass: it felt natural to me to move more on the rythmic side.

Lest's start!

AMPS TESTED:
    _ markbass mini CMD 151P (about 1000 EUR)
    _ markbass minimark 802 (about 700 EUR)

BASSES TESTED:
    _ FENDER JAZZ BASS FSR CLASSIC 60S FIESTA RED ROSEWOOD (about 1000 EUR, japan)
    _ FENDER JAZZ BASS AMERICAN VINTAGE '64 BLACK ROSEWOOD NECK (about 2000 EUR, usa)
    _ FENDER PRECISION BASS 64 HEAVY RELIC AGED WHITE (about 3000 EUR, usa)
    _ WARWICK CORVETTE PROSERIES 4 HONEY VIOLIN (about 600 EUR, korea)

MY IMPRESSION:
    Both amps sounded very transparent and versatile: using all passive instruments, I could go from a delicate acoustic-like to an active-like bass sound, using the builtin filters. The minimark is about 50% lighter and less powerful than the CMD, but still quite loud for club gigs. I am looking for a portable amp, to be brought on the metro or even on the back of a bike, and the minimark seems to suit the purpose. Any other alternative?

There was a hiss, probably related to grounding of the room el.circuit or neon lights: the hiss stopped if I touched the bass hardware, it was present with all basses and amps, it was invaried if I went way from the room.

The basses: the MIJ JB looked and felt superior above all in terms of finishes. The fretboard was better refinished and the rosewood was a lot smoother and uniform than the usas and the warwick. My personal taste about neck finish: I liked more the MIJ poly and the unfinished warwick, than the usa finish (nitro?) or the heavy relic p-finish (didn't like at all).

The bass sound: less powerful output from the MIJ compared to the others. The americans sounded more responsive on the treble side and and more dynamic than the MIJ, maybe a matter of pickups. The warwick sounded more aggressive and less versatile than the others (not surprised). All of them sounded very good to me.

Best!
    Fabio

dralionux likes this.