A true hybrid!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rockbobmel, Oct 2, 2002.

1. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I know this sounds a littlt mental, but I want to try this next gig.
    Take my Eden WP100/WT1000 head and bridge it for about 750 watts into an 8 ohm D-410XLT. Now, take the DI or tuner output signal from the WP100 and run it into the input of my V-4, or Bassman 135, 100 watt tube head. Run the tube head into the Eden D-210XLT cab.The tube head could be EQd to whatever you need.
    Would the result be tube sound with the solid low end of a SS amp?
    If I wanted to get real creative, I could stereo my Eden into the 1-18(low), and 2-10(hi) scoop the mids, then run the tube head into the 4-10 and EQ that for mids only. Wouldn't that be killer??
    Do you think there would be problems with even/odd harmonics?
  2. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    I doubt the sound would be worth the trouble. YMMV
  3. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    After you do that be sure and put it on an old wooden platform hanging from chains and then slowly crank it to the top of the old castle as you laugh maniacally so that it can be struck by lightning. :rolleyes:

brad cook
  4. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    they do that kind of stuff in the big studios all the time, it'd be a PITA but it might be worth the tone. then again it might not, you just have to try it and find out.

that said, some of the best guitar tones ever were by mixing and matching guitar amps, so i'd guess you'd end up with something you'd like.
  5. Rockbobmel

It's no more of a PITA than hooking up a box in the chain.

I did it half assed in my living room with half the Eden into a Sonic 18 and line out to the input of the Bassman 135, into the 2-10.
    It works pretty cool. Funny thing,the bass from the 18 takes on the tube thing so it sounds like the whole thing is tube---Cool.
    Anyone else try this?
  6. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    If you were to bi-amp it, you might be able to accomplish your goals. Then you'll need a crossover.
  7. Rockbobmel

I can go one better! Besides the preamp having a variable crossover, it has a stereo pan, and the power amp also has it's own dual tone controls!. There is nothing you can't do. Even if you are running diff.ohm cabs. The Eden power amp can run 8, 4, & 2 ohms.