1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A True Icon??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by millsbass5, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Has anyone tried the Carvin Icon Series basses?I have a Carvin LB75 (Koa).Excellent,excellent bass.For the money.I've really put it thru it's paces for going on 11 years.No complaints here.But,I really like the more modern body style of the Icon basses.A lot of people tend to say Carvin electronics is really the only weakness those basses possess.I agree,to a certain extent.You can get some really,really good tones out of the stock electronics.But,it would be nice if they would offer some big-name guts in their basses.Who has played one?Speak up.

2. I also own a Carvin LB75AP Anniversary 2007 model, it's not my main bass. My only experience with the Icon was at the 09 NAMM show, I swear I was playing it for 2 minutes before I realized it was a fretless, that's how nice it was. I'm not a fan of soapbar pups, but these sounded pretty decent.

BTW, my main bass is a 08' MIA Fender Jazz V, which I absolutely love. The LB75 doesn't quite have the power of the Jazz V, that's my opinion so take it for what it is.:smug:

3. I own a 4 string Icon and I'm a happy customer, I've owned mine for 3 years now. It plays great and I really like the tone, more so than the other Carvins I've owned that had the old 9 volt preamp. You can get alot of tonal variation out of the mid sweep. The sound of the Icon is modern and focused.

By the way, I'm a lover of koa. Post a photo of your Carvin if possible.

4. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California
    DCP_2709.

DCP_2720.

DCP_2724.

some pics of mine. All in all, it's a great bass. It's a tad heavy, but not back-breaking. IMO, it looks spiffy as hell, I love the no inlay board.

the nicest thing about this bass is the neck. I've never played a neck that I love as much as this one. It's thin, flat, fast, and you can get right up there to the 24th fret.

The stock electronics are meh at best. As you can see, I've replaced my neck pickup with a Bartolini P2CB, and the sound is MUCH better.

All in all I recommend this bass, but be sure to stock a couple hundred $ extra in case you want new electronics if you do end up getting one.

5. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    It kind of looks like my Peavey Ridge, IMO.

6. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    The Icons are among the best feeling and playing basses I have ever played. Impeccable craftsmanship (or CNC programming). IMO the play as good as anything out there. The tone element is a personal one, so I won't comment on that.

7. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California
    any decisions yet millsbass?

8. Well,it depends.What it depends on is:Can a Yamaha TRB1005 (W/new pre and pups) be as good as a Carvin in playability,quality,etc.?I've had a "real" TRB Bass before (John Pattitucci 6 Sig.).Yamaha claims quality is on par w/the real TRB's.Sales pitch?You guys tell me.I would really like someone to chime in that has played both.Or,either one!!Anyone?I mean,I am in no real big hurry to cop a bass to play the bars with.But,it seems that every fight that breaks out at the bar gets closer and closer to my basses.Not good.I just know in my heart of hearts my pre-Gibson Tobias 5 Classic is gonna be a collectible one day.So,I'm lookin' for something else to drag to the clubs.I've already splurged for a custom 5er (www.rogermorillo).But,that's for outdoor gigs,private parties,studio work,you know,civilized gigs .(Check Roger out,guys,he's bad ass.Exc. prices,too.BTW.)

Not to sound like a little bitch,I'm not,for sure.But it seems like every thread/question that I start,I GET NO FEEDBACK!!Bad timing???Once again,you tell me.Maybe people think I'm some dumb-ass hick from W.V.I've been at the music game for a LONG time.(Playing bar gigs since 16 yrs.of age)Playing bass since age 12,I'm 42.College education.Just because W.V. is considered 10 yrs.behind doesn't mean my playing is.I can hang.I don't know,maybe it's some sort of "new membership hazing",I don't know.Good grief,I DO sound like a little bitch after all!!I apologize.

Peace......