Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A Truly Horrific and Profane Confession

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BaroqueBass, Sep 8, 2003.

1. BaroqueBass

BaroqueBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Salem, OR
    As you may or may not know, I am a Child of The Grunge era.. I grew up worshipping AIC, Nirvana, Metallica, etc, and my musical leanings tend to be toward the Baroque (Bach and Scarlatti) and the heaviest of Metal (SYL, Rotting Christ, Vader, etc). So it is with a heavy heart that I must share this new obsession/revelation in my musical life. I'm 24 years old, reasonably hip and groovy, and

I

Can't

Stop

Listening

to

the

Carpenters!!!! :bawl: :bawl: Esepcially their 1972 hit album "A Song for You."

[​IMG]

eeeeeeeeeek! there's just something about Karen's voice that just screams "listen to me all day long!! don't stop.. listen to lots and lots of carpenters!!"

:bawl:

I feel a little better. :) Thanks!

2. thrasher717

thrasher717

Jan 17, 2003
    North Dakota
    That's nothing to be ashamed of -- I respect you for finding beauty in other genres of music.

I confess that I've been on a Neil Diamond kick lately. There. I've admitted it.

3. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    mum sez i can`t see u ne more :(

j/k :D it could be worse

4. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I've been thinking about buying a carpenters greatest hits or something for a long time!

I recently got XM radio and I'm hooked on the 40's channel. here are the lyrics to one of the funnier songs...

Huggin And Chalkin Lyrics
    Hoagy Carmichael

I got a gal who's mighty sweet
    Big blue eyes and tiny feet
    Her name is Rosabelle Magee
    And she tips the scales at three-oh-three

Oh, gee, but ain't it grand to have a gal so big and fat
    That when you go to hug her, you don't know where you're at
    You have to take a piece of chalk in your hand
    And hug a ways and chalk a mark to see where you began

One day I was a-huggin' and a-chalkin' and a-chalkin' and a-huggin' away
    When I met another fella with some chalk in his hand
    A-comin' around the other way over the mountain
    A-comin' around the other way

Nobody ever said I'm weak
    My bones don't ache, my joints don't creak
    But I grow pale and I get limp
    Every time I see my baby blimp

Oh, gee, but ain't it grand to have a gal so big and fat
    That when you go to hug her
    (You don't know where you're at)
    (You have to take a piece of chalk in your hand)
    (And hug a bit and chalk a mark to see where you began)

One day I was a-huggin' and a-chalkin' and a-beggin' her to be my bride
    A-comin' around the other side (over the mountain)
    A-comin' around the other side

She's a mile wide!
    (Chalkin' up a markdown and yellin' "No More!")
    A-comin' around the other side (over the mountain)
    Over the Great Divide!!

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    :D she probably want's you to steal the CD so she can listen to it.

I'm gonna give BB a pat on the back. It's good to see people stepping outside their comfort zone and experiencing all kinds of music. I cop a lot of flack for having such broad taste in music. My CD collection goes from Rage against the machine, right through to George Benson, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Last night, my flat-mate's 7 yr old wouldn't stop singing that tune with the sample of Beethoven's 5th symphony. So I sat her down and made her listed to it the way Beethoven intended it to sound. She loved it. She no longer thinks classical music is boring. Hopefully I've opened her eyes to styles of music she wouldn't normally have given a chance.

6. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Admitting it is the first step. My music library spans from Avenged Sevenfold to Andrew Lloyd Webber, Marilyn Manson to the Three Tenors, N*Sync and Avril Lavigne to John Coltrane and Marcus Miller. Diversity is a beautiful thing.

7. If you tink THATS bad; I like Gareth Gate's new song... :eek:

NO ONE MUST KNOW! I'LL BE RUINED!! :D :p

:cool:

8. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    What's wrong with The Carpenters? Karen had one of the most incredible voices in the history of pop music.

9. I have Carly Simon right next to Tool, and Carole King rubbing noses with King Crimson and My Bloody Valentine.

Who needs consistency anyway.

10. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I love the Carpenters. Do you know that Karen Carpenter beat out John Bonham for best drummer of the year in Playboy magazine back in the 70s. She was #1, he was #2 (I believe). That Karen had the chops of Peart I tell ya! She was just holding back.

I also dig the Partridge Family, Enya, DeFranco Family (great bass lines), and for the past 2 weeks I can't seem to get Rhinestone Cowboy outta my head.

Chili Peps are my favorite band.

11. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Mine too. This has probably been covered on TB a million times, but Flea is the one of the few who can get fancy without sacrificing the groove. Gotta love that.

12. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

There is something to be said for well crafted songs, no matter what the genre.

Music is amazing in that certain changes, pitches, and tones, combined with rythym, can assume control over a human being like it does.

13. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Besides, nobody really wanted to see John Bonham in Playboy.;)

14. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    Liking the Carpenters is nothing to be ashamed of. Solitare is a beautiful song. There is an AM station out of Visalia I listen to when I drive by that plays big band and 40's ballads that bring tears to my eyes. Then I pop some Social D into the CD player to shake it off.

15. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Heh. My absolute favorite band of all time: They Might Be Giants. Didn't use a real human bassist or drummer until like, their 5th album... so, I feel your shame!

;)

:bag:

16. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I grew up into hard rock and metal, but now I love techno music.

Actually I grew up listening to progressive college radio in the seventies, and really liked early Kraftwerk and Tangerine Dream even back then. But I like almost everything nowadays... that includes country/western, which I used to make fun of quite mercilessly. Heck, I'm even in a band that plays a lot of C&W.

The one kind of music I can't stand is schmaltzy love ballads. I'm talking everything from Celine Dion and Barry Manilow to the power ballads done by Aerosmith, Scorpions, Styx, etc.

And whatever it is that Yanni and John Tesh do... I can't stand that crap either.

17. P. Aaron wrote:

I belive that I shall nominate that statement as the most intelligent post of the year.

18. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I believe we all have our guilty pleasures. Nothing to be ashamed of. I catch alot of flack for listening to Seal. People say he's the black Sting (the namby-pamby adult contemporary Sting).

19. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Techno has been growing on me as well, I have Diesle Boy in my cd changer right now, along with David Bowey, The roots, Industrial strength(hardcore industrial), Jeff Beck, and The Flaming Lips. All on random play, this way I get a good mix of them all the time.
    peace
    -Ben

20. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    time for my own confession, im listening to christina aguilera a terrible lot these days, but its ok, she has a fantastic voice. (and, IMO, shes hot)