1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A tube echo question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ciledehcysp, Apr 22, 2010.

1. ciledehcysp

ciledehcysp

Jun 11, 2009
    Austria
    Hi folks,

I'Ve got a WEM Watkins Copicat Echo from Ebay. It's the white solid state model from the late sixties or so..

Totally love the sound of this thing, and it's also a great preamp/boost/mixer.

Only thing.. I expected it to make some wild oscillation like you can hear in youtube videos...

Mine doesn't do it. Even with Mix and Feedback (swell) controls maxed it makes about 6 or 7 repeats and that's it.
    Anybody an idea where the problem lies or what I can do to get more repeats out of it. I changed the tape. I have a fresh one in and it makes no difference.
    Maybe cleaning the tapeheads ? I don't know,
    but thanks if you can help me
    and thanks for looking

Marcia

2. ciledehcysp

ciledehcysp

Jun 11, 2009
    Austria
    Edit: The thread should be called TAPE ECHO QUESTION not Tube Echo... this copicat is just a tape echo not tube tape echo.. sorry :)

3. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    Do all of the heads work?

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I have a friend with two Echoplex's, and they're great. But, due to all the moving parts, it's best to have it serviced by a professional. Sounds like yours is in need of a tech-visit.

5. Lincoln1

Lincoln1

Feb 5, 2010
    It most likely has trim pots on the inside which would allow the adjustment and biasing of the delay times. Not something I would wanna screw around with myself.

6. ciledehcysp

ciledehcysp

Jun 11, 2009
    Austria
    yes, as far as I can tell the heads work properly.. it's just not the full range of repeats...