A tuning on 5 string bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 555, May 12, 2004.

1. 555

Jun 21, 2003
    Hi all,

How do you do the following tuning on a 5 string bass?

FCGDA from high to low

I got a Qwik Tune electric tuner but i am not sure if you hold any frets down or just play open on all strings to get the individual desired tuning :confused:

Bass is currently tuned GDAEB from high to low, i only know how to do standard :meh:

2. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    it is still all in fourths, just detune it all one full step. If you tune the second fret to BEADG (low to high), when you release it to the open note, it will be ADGCF (low to high). Just make sure your intonation is correct. Or if it is a good tuner, just tune ADGCF from the open note to begin with.
  3. 555

Jun 21, 2003
    Great! thanks for your help! i will go try that :D

i also understand you gotta tighten your truss rod aswell from tuning down to bow the neck more, shall i turn the truss rod 1/4 of a turn to the right?

Thanks again!
  4. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    you don't ever *have to* make any adjustments just because you changed tuning or strings or whatever. If your action is still where you want it and you get no fret buzz, the truss rod can stay.

As for the tuning, you generally tune open strings. Hit your lowest, thickest string and the Qwik Tune should tell you what note it's playing, it will probably be something around B - turn the tuning peg until it shows a solid A (tip: tune down below the target A, like to G# or G, and then bring it *up* to the A, that sets the string better at the note), then move on to the next string and repeat. doublecheck all strings at the end to be safe.
  5. 555

Jun 21, 2003
    Cool! thanks for the tip jammerdave, when i tune standard i always tune just abit over the mid point where it is perfect tuning, i will then pull the strings like do pops and slaps and finger style and check the tuning after, then it will be perfect as the strings have adjusted fully i guess :D