1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A Unique Squire Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CliftonBonney, Aug 30, 2008.

1. I live quite a distance from the rest of my family. When I travel to see them I get withdrawals from playing the bass, so I decided to buy a cheap bass and leave it at my parents' house for when I visit.

I walked into the little music store in the little town and saw one a $250 Squire Affinity Basses. It's cola red with a rosewood fretboard. The odd thing about it is that it has J-style pick ups but a P-bass neck. It even says P-Bass on the headstock.

Have I just picked up a factory screw up? I know people do this with their basses. I just can't find anything on the net that allows you to buy one of these Squire basses in this combination. The guy at the store thinks it's a manufacturing goof. If someone has heard of this before, please let me know. Thanks.

P.S. It's not just a screw up with the labeling on the headstock. I have a MIA Jazz and a MIA P-Bass, so I can tell the differences between the neck.

2. iplaybasstexas

iplaybasstexas

Apr 5, 2008
    DFW
    for $250, please get a Squire Vintage Modified Series. The jazz is amazing and the p bass is sweet too.

you may end up taking it home! its a great bass!

3. I'm kind of screwed already because I've already purchased it. These little towns will make you pay way too much. But hey. I was desperate, needed a bass fast for my own sanity, this was really all the store had in stock, and I'm fine with supporting the local mom and pop store (even if it means paying a little extra).

Any thoughts on if this was just a factory screw up? Thanks.

4. Was the bass new? If not, then maybe someone just swapped the neck, as having a Jazz neck on a P bass is a popular mod. This is the byproduct of doing that swap! ;)

ps - $250 for a Squire Affinity???? Aren't they like $150 new?

5. translation..."yeah, I got ripped off...because I was ill informed and impatient...but I'm HAPPY(?) I got ripped off because I'm supporting local criminals"

oh the tragedy of rationalizing ones' mistakes...:rollno:

my thoughts?...I don't think it was a factory screw up...I think you got a bastardised bass :eyebrow:

6. translation..."yeah, I got ripped off...because I was ill informed and impatient...but I'm HAPPY(?) I got ripped off because I'm supporting local criminals"

oh the tragedy of rationalizing ones' mistakes...:rollno:

my thoughts?...I don't think it was a factory screw up...I think you got a used frankenbass :eyebrow:

7. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
    I don't think it's unique. Played one yesterday. P-body and neck, jazz pickup five string.
    It has been in the store, new, for over four years. Says Squier Precision Bass on the headstock.

8. marshmallow83

marshmallow83

Oct 6, 2007
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but it's not unique. It's a Squier P bass special or something. They made them a while ago.

9. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Definitely not unique or rare ..... I have this one ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Paid $150 for it used, excellent bass for the money. Heck, excellent bass for 3 times that cost .... :cool:

10. ysand

ysand

Mar 26, 2005
    Athens/Greece
    People, please call it properly, squiER

11. The bass was brand new. It still has the stickers and plastic film all over it. I think new the Affinity's are like $179. But that's not the point of this thread.

Man, tough crowd here. I'm not looking for some kind of treasure in this bass. I was just curious about it and thought I would ask. As for Dr. Phil Bass or whatever your name is, I'm not too concerned about getting ripped off.

12. Still a mystery to me... can you post pics? The only P bass with J pickups I know of is the 5 string standard version pictured above. Your's is a 4 string Affinity? Does it have 2 J pickups, or P&J? P body style?

Again - pics could help. And even if new, I wouldn't put it past a shop owner to swap necks from a P bass to a J bass to make a sale (or for their own use). The resulting bass (P neck on J body) would just go back on the wall to be sold.

13. mattygbass

mattygbass Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Stafford Springs, CT
    no its not a screw up ive seen a few like that. im not sure why they do it though.

14. therex

therex

Jun 24, 2007
    lima
    are you sure it was an affinty series?
    it could have been an standard p bass special

15. I'll post some pics. It may take me a day or two. It has the J-stype pickups. It's not a P/J type bass. It is a 4 string with a J body style.

The owner of the store wouldn't switch it around. He's not like that at all. He's a real nice guy.

I'll try to get some pics up soon.

16. I assume it's an Affinity bass. It has the stickers on it and the headstock says Affinity Series. Here are some pics.

Attached Files:

17. Well, I've never seen one like that before. How bizarre!

18. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I agree .... I'm not a Fender/Squier expert by any means, but that's definitely quite different (prior to my contrary statement :meh:) .... be interested in finding out more about the origin of this bass .....

19. It's a nice bass. I too am very curious about it. I think there was just a mistake made at the factory or something. Maybe I should send an e-mail to Squier. Sorry about the prior misspelling.

If anyone else has any thoughts, I'd be glad to hear them. Thanks all!!

20. iplaybasstexas

iplaybasstexas

Apr 5, 2008
    DFW
    (IMO)that is definetly a switched neck.