A unique warwick thumb NT!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vene-nemesis, May 9, 2005.

1. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España

Needless to say that the finish looks cool but hell do it in a corvette STD that cost 3k€ less!
  2. zeronyne

zeronyne Recovering Keyboard Player

Nov 24, 2003
    I own a Thumb 5 NT, and the only thing I don't like about it is how it looks.

Don't get me wrong...I can appreciate why people love exotic hardwoods and satin or oil finishes. But it's not for me. That said, the tone of the Thumb keeps me from getting rid of it.

Is Bubinga a difficult wood to finish with gloss? Or is it the expense of the wood and its tonal qualities that keep people from painting over it?

And is there a gallery of custom Warwicks anywhere? I would LOVE to see that.
  3. thats the stupidest thing ive ever seen
  4. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Besides the fact that it's a Thumb (not a fan) and it's a really gory scene to me (not a fan) I love it. Instruments and music are all about self expression and I love custom paint jobs, especially Clapton's and a few others. That's not my bag of chips, but I'd love to have something colorful and a bit custom.
  5. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Correct if I`m wrong but, isn`t the upper horn a bit longer than those in the traditional models ?
  6. simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    That is horrific. Why would you buy a really expensive bass made of a nice exotic wood and then paint over it with a tacky horror scene? That scene belongs on Jackson or an ESP bass.
  7. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    this is a "CRIME"...... :crying:
  8. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    isnt that the guy from slipknot, and that looks like a picture of himself on the bass. Dunno i kinda dig the trippy look, like a dali painting or something. It does look odd on a warwick. Ive always wanted a thumb in blue stain with a maple neck, my plain ol thumb will have to do for now though.
  9. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    haha its not THAT gory. At least he ain't rapin' little children :D
    umm anyways...I think that spretty rad... maybe a different scene for me, something I could live with at a jazz festival but I'd be interested in one of those on my corvette std.
  10. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I love it. That's some mighty fine airbrush work, especially the veiny headstock. I agree that the guy in the pic looks like Paul Grey of Slipknot.

And since it's a Warwick custom, who's to say the Thumb in question even had an ovangkol or bubinga pommele body? Who's to say the customer didn't ask for a swamp-ash bodied Thumb to serve as a canvas for that paint job?

Though as far as creepy/scary airbrush work goes, I'm really digging the recently added "Jeepers Creepers" guitar recently airbrushed by Rick Giarmo. http://www.giarmo.com/Rick Giarmo /pages/Airbrushed Guitars.html
  11. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I think it's pretty lame personally. It's even worse that it's a picture of himself on the bass.
  12. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I wonder if simms did this for warwick?
  13. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    So much for my one ounce (gram) of respect for Warwick.
  14. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    The "Crime" is that I don't own it.
  15. Jmann

Apr 29, 2003
    Lexington, Ky
    thats not one of Paul's... how do I know this? Paul is left handed and plays left handed ;)

it is pretty lame that someone got someone else airbrushed on a bass. But i would like to have my head airbrushed on a bass...
  16. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    I don't get what is going on in the picture.
  17. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Yea, that's even lamer!
  18. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Bringing answers to you, Yes thats paul fom slipknot, it is a bass that a store in germany sells (next to the buzzard airbrushed buzzard and the cocobolo streamer SII)the price is way too high for a thumb and it made of bubinga.

BTW this store sells the entire warwick line (exepting the dolphin pro 1) even the new jack bruce, the hot rod 'vettes the spyder look-a-like...