A used Ibanez BTB 5 string for 350 (w/ hardshell case...) is it a good deal?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The_Ryst, May 20, 2005.

1. I need some help. I think this is a good deal, it's not in bad condition, the back place has MJ scratched into it (that's easily replacable I'm guessing) and it's all good aside from that.
  2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I noticed last night that they have a lot of Ibanez closeouts here. Ya might want to check it out... Don't know nuthin about the bass you're asking about.

I am NOT a fan of Ibanez though, but I've ranted enough about them at Talkbass already. Some people seem to like them. Some people enjoy eating liver too. :)
  3. Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    i love em, specially the new SR's with barts
  4. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Which BTB model is it?
  5. Although there are several BTB models, for 350, it's a steal for whatever model it is. Im going to guess passive j's on this one though.
  6. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    I would have to disagree with you on that. If its a bottom of the barrel BTB and only sells for $425-$450 new, then to me $350 on a used one in good condition is not a steal.
  7. HawkBoyXVI

HawkBoyXVI Hairbrained Schemer

Oct 25, 2004
    Lawton, OK
    I'm with you there. I've never played an Ibanez that I particularly liked. Then again, I'm not a fan of 5-strings. Then again again, I'm of a mind that you have to pay $1000+ to beat out a plain old standard Fender Jazz.
  8. I'll check the model:-/
  9. It looks exactly like this (same paint job and all.)
  10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    $350 is a good deal, but not a steal. I sold mine a couple years ago for $425. Mine was exactly like the picture, and it included a hard shell case. It was in mint condition. I had the frets removed.

11. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    The 405's are selling for a little over $600 here in the Tampa area. Anywhere from $600-$620. $350 is a very good deal on one imo. I am not an Ibanez fan, but for that price I'd jump at it.
  12. Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    Just make sure it's the 405 (like pictured) and that's a great deal. Those are great basses and that's a great price for one even without a case.

Note: It's not a top-of-the-line great bass, but it is a really good one. The pickups are the weakest link in that bass, and even those are still pretty good. Definitely decent and playable and gig and recording worthy. And if you should choose to switch out those pickups for Bartolinis, that bass becomes a beast. And if you're only paying $350 for that bass, pickup swapping shouldn't hurt your wallet too much.
  13. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I bought one here sometime ago.
    It was exactly the same model / colour (BTB 405QM) that yours.
    I paid $375 for it (used but in optimum condition) with a nice
    gig bag.
  14. I got my BTB 406QM for £250, without a hardcase a year n a bit ago, so i guess 350 ($ i assume), is ok, but not an amazing deal
  15. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    I agree with you about the pickups. I'd also swap out the electronics in it too.
  16. BassLow

Sep 14, 2004
    Just curious what's involved in swapping the pups & preamp, let say with Barts, in terms of price & labour?

Are the BTB405QM capable of dailing in traditional/Fender tone at all, without mods and/or adding effects?
  17. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Although the bass is quite versatile, I can´t dial a Fender Jazz tone (I wasn´t looking for it anyway).
  18. BassLow

Sep 14, 2004
    I've been trying various settings to try to achieve a smooth/fat tone without success. Maybe I didn't try hard enough? Maybe the tone of the BTB405QM is just inherantly dark? Or is it totally unreasonable to get a traditional CD like bass tone out of this bass, or for that matter, any bass at all, without the million dollar studio console :crying: ? Will the installation of the Bart pups & preamp improve the situation?

Back to the Barts swapping question, anybody wants to share what's involved cost & labour wise? For those who'd done it, how big is the tone difference before & after the mod? And what about Bart pups with Aguilar preamp?

Looks like I should have started a new thread?:)
  19. if you want a fender jazz bass get one, everybody has that tnoe though so who wants it?