Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

a variation on the classic insult

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Droppedsignal, Sep 12, 2002.

1. I entered 8th grade as the only bass player in harmonium(its a special music program, like advanced crap and things) and today, i find out me saying" i play bass, and i will help out the guitar ensemble if they need me to" on my application as me saying i would play guitar. I've heard two opinions on this matter, a-im a bass player, and learning guitar shouldn't be a big problem because im used to co-ordinating movements and things or b-they knew i played bass and instead of letting me use my ability there, they stick me on guitar instead of having to find bass parts for anything they do. Either way, im stuck here, but how do you think my guitar biased teachers saw it?

2. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    well...it's apparent that you are biased, too.

it may be sacrilege to say on a bass forum, but there is nothing wrong with the guitar as an instrument. learning how to play it can be a good experience for you.

besides, guitar-playing bassists are MUCH cooler than guitar-playing guitarists!

:p

seriously, though, it seems somewhat logical (i'm referring to your teachers' decision). what you wrote down made no implication that you desired to play bass with them. and is there even a bass chair in the guitar ensemble? ask if there is, or accomodations can be made, and if there are in fact bass parts. you shouldn't just assume that since they stuck you there, there aren't any.

they may be able to make an arrangement...or maybe you'll just have to stick it out (there's always quitting, too!). :D

at least a person in head of a major section of the arts at a particular high school didn't confuse you for a guitar player! :eek: :D

3. this is the conversation between me and the teacher.

teacher:oops:k, well, i know your a bass player, and i respect that, but we feel, that all kids should have a basic knowledge of guitar.
    me: grumbling 2 myself something about jason candyman and mirrors
    teacher: so we're gonna start u on guitar, and i know your a bass player by choice, but guitar is something that everybody in this program should be able to know the basics of.

I didn't doctor that i think, my memory is a little distorted. Im sure he knows im a bass player, the day before i had my jazz bass at school in front of everybody. I talked to my normal teacher(theres 3, vocal, guitar, and instrumental, instrumental is my area) and he said he would talk to the guitar instructor, and i find out on tuesday or wednesday. I have nothing against learning guitar,but when im being graded on it against my will, i find the need to change something if possible.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You should learn to play guitar.

5. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Knowing some guitar playing will make you a better bassist - you'll learn some chord and harmony theory and that will give you a better understanding of what notes work with a given chord.

Knowing some drumming will also make you a better bass player - you'll better understand the rythmic interplay between drums and bass, and also get better at keeping time.

Learning any other instrument will probably make you a better band player, you'll understand what the other guys are doing and be a better listener. You'll be able to know a bit about what the whole band is doing and perhaps be able to contribute with ideas about the overall arrangement and sound.

Take the chance to broaden your knowledge of music, and then get back to the bass all the better for it.

6. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    yeah,.exactly.

plus, colleges may have scholarships for classical guitar, but not "classical bass."

...and i'm only in it for the money,anyway, right?

:D :rolleyes:

7. i agree on learning to play guitar. before i started it, i thought it was a sissy instument(what with it being so little) and was very biased on the issue. now i'd hate to say i play my guitar more than my bass, although thats probably mostly because im only in one band and play guitar in it. but, none the less, you should learn as many instruments as possible, especially the guit-fiddle.

8. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    What Munji said.

9. ive been mulling it over, and i wouldn't mind learning guitar, but being graded on it is whats ticking me off. I find out tommorow(Tuesday) what the decision was on the matter, so i'll post it after school.

10. Oliphaunt

Oliphaunt

May 30, 2002
    I dunno, I would hate being forced into another instrument, especially guitar.

Honestly, (i know this is immature and unprofessional) I'd walk out.

11. Secksay

Secksay Guest

Sep 6, 2002
    New York, NY
    i'd learn any instrument i could, all it can do is make you a better musician, it can't make you worse.

12. burntcherries

burntcherries Guest

Sep 16, 2002
    Cornwall
    take every musical opportunity you can get!
    i'm a bassist and bass is my favoruite instrument but i also sing, play guitar and steel pans, so im kinda balanced. Having a knowledge of percussion, bass, voice and guitar makes it a lot easier playing with other people.
    plus it's fun :)