Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A Versatile Pro Amp+Cabs for $2000

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kortez, Jul 19, 2004.

1. I was wondering if someone here could perhaps give me pointers on shopping for amps. I'm looking to completely replace my current setup which is an old Gallien-Krueger 800RB Bi-Amp and some old 4x10 and 1x15 to match. I'm playing mostly experimental rock (sometimes mellow sometimes pretty hardcore), with a tiny bit of funk to it, but I would like it to be pretty versatile as for instance I sometimes help out a couple of friends of mine who are hip hop artists.

I've been considering the Super Redhead as I've heard it's very versatile, and I'm looking for something that's both ideal for recording and gigging. I'm playing a Fender Custom shop Reggie hamilton jazz bass V and I've been told that the 4x10's on the redhead aren't exactly ideal for 5 strings. Then I'd probably get a Son of Bertha 1x15 to go with it. But Recently I saw a "The SWR Big Rig" and by the looks of it, it's a sweet deal for such power, but that raises the question if it's gonna do good things in the studio. And now I've been wondering if I should get a SWR rig at all.

Well to totally get to the point, I'm lost in this whole amp thing. I've never really had to seriously get into the whole amp thing since all my amp deals have landed straight in front of me. If anyone has got any recommendations or pointers for a used or new rig that can cost up to just over $2000, I would greatly appreciate it.

What would you buy for $2000 ?

2. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    You really gotta try the Redhead for yourself as it's definately got it's own sound. Personally I dig it a lot.
    However, I know all too well what it's like (un)loading a heavy combo at 4AM. So I got the SWR 350 head and matching Goliath 2x10 cab. My back thanked me. :D
    Besides, this setup is MUCH more flexable.
    You could go with an SWR Interstellar Overdrive pre and the power amp of your choice if you want even more flexability(and power). That and a Goliath should be reasonably close to your budget ...that is, if your set on the SWR sound.

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Aguilar DB750 w/ Aguilar GS410 & GS115

done.

4. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    For $2000? Whaaat? :)

5. Traynor YBA200>Schroeder 21012...

there's about 1300 bucks and you're set :)

6. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    Yeah, I was gonna say- with that budget, you should consider an all-tube head as well. Not as much flexability as a separate pre/power combination, but who cares when it's all tube. :D
    I'd LOVE to hear those Schroeder cabs.

7. Thanks a million for the replies guys. I'm gonna look into these options.

Much appreciated! :bassist:

8. GK 1001RB-II + Any Schroeder Cab. Thank you and good night...

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Keep the GK 800, get some Mesa cabs, they'll do your rocker good.
    May I suggest a Powerhouse 1000? It's a 410+115 cab. A little bigger than a 610, but smaller than an 810, and'll kick more butt than a robot programed to kick butt.

10. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Ampeg SVT4Pro head and SVT410 or 610 HLF cab. Should be pretty close within your budget.

11. If your really strong. This will do great.

If not a QSC PLX 1602 and a sansamp RBI and Schroeder 21012 will do the job.

12. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    For power, flexibility and portability check out the EA iAMP 800 and an EA Cxl-112

Mike Dimin

13. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    two
    Amen to that. I never really had the chance to play a PLX before buying my RMX, and I came to realize that I could have saved about 20lbs :mad:

You'll notice the difference when you start building up a rack. It friggon sucks like hell to not be able to haul your own gear around without help.

Plus... with that budget, I'd take it beyond an "all Ampeg" or even beyond solid state.

If your gonna go solid state power... I think you should land a pre that can give you a good tube sound. If you save money by doing it that way, you can splurge like a mother on the cab(s). That's how I would do it.

Tube... maybe an SVT-CL. Again, that'd cost more and make you have to budget the speakers. I'd recommend the 3Pro, but that would give you great sound, with a somewhat lack of power. Unless you used that awesome budget and got two of them. ;) There's an interesting idea :p

14. tubster

tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
    Where do these ideas come from......??!! An amp with a single 12" cab competing against a 410 plus 1x15 etc.

If you want to make the kind of noise that a bass player needs to make in a medium room at a reasonable volume level playing the music described without the aid of a PA, you need to move plenty of air and a 1x12" (whoever makes it) does not cut it.

Physics still rules!

15. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    If versatility is your #1 priority, then maybe you should look at the Peavey BAM series:

http://www.peavey.com/products/shop_online/browse.cfm/action/final/wc/1A1B12/fam/1B1/c/2/bam.cfm

Also, the new Yamaha amp looks interesting, but it's new, so it's probably not available yet, and the description (in the link below) says, "First in Series of Programmable, Lightweight and Compact Units", so something more desirable might be coming out in the near future...

http://namm.harmony-central.com/SNAMM04/Content/Yamaha/PR/BBT-500H.html

I do think the Peavey BAMs are worth checking out though...