1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A versatile synth pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jvalenzh, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Hi! Does anyone know if there's any one single pedal out there that could do various synth sounds? From the disco M.J. "Thriller" sound to the current fuzzy pop sound. I'd like to have just one versatile pedal that can provide a range of sounds. Thanks!

2. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Gainesville,FL
    Quite honestly, no. Some will get you a more 70's sound (EHX BMS), some can do 80's and 90's better (Korg G5, Deep Impact), 90's on (MBSS).
    Some of these through other effects will open up a lot more options.

I would say the maybe a Chunk Octavious Squeezer is your best bet. But like all of the pedals mentioned in here, it has a flaw. The UI is kind of hard to get a solid grasp on. I am not saying it is impossible but you have to really put your time in on it.

Really, a cheapie synth could do a way better job. I know it isn't the same as playing on your bass though.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I've been down this road, many times. Trust me, a small keyboard synth will make you smile. I still use pedals with bass, but if you want the real deal, get a synthesizer. There are several really good, new synths on the market right now, from Moog Sub Phatty, Korg MS20 mini, DSI MoPho, Arturia MiniBrute, Novation Bass Station 2, and the list goes on.

4. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Gainesville,FL
    Adding to what RickenBoogie wrote.
    You can even get a polyphonic Analog synth for a good price these days. A Dave Smith Tetra. It has 4 voices, lots of modulation routings and a good amount of memory for presets that you make. It could nail a lot of sounds that you are looking for.

5. Thanks guys. I actually have a few synths (I'm also a keyboard player), but my idea is to not carry more gear for live shows. That's why I was wondering if there was one pedal that could let me get most synth sounds from my bass.

6. The Godlyke Great Divide 2.0. Its will seriously blow your mind. I'll never use a vintage micro synth again. Its expensive, but if you want a great synth check it out.

7. Thanks, the Great Divide seems nice! But yes, expensive.

8. gastric

gastric Professional product tester for hire

Jun 8, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    Source Audio BETA tester
    Depending on what range of sounds you really need to produce there's a few boxes that might work for you:

* Markbass Super Synth
    * Zoom B3
    * Roland GR5-55 (extremely robust, but finicky to play into)
    * AKAI Deep Impact

I have some reviews and sound samples on my page (see sig below).

9. adamsmatthewj

adamsmatthewj

May 4, 2013
    I try to get synth tones from chaining pedals. I've had great results with combinations of octaver, chorus, fuzz, overdrive, reverb, etc. Seems a combination of an octaver and fuzz is always a good place to start for a zingy synth. I really like using the octave-down only (dry octave turned off) combined with a chorus for a smoother synth sound.

10. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    i think the korg G5 is the best bet. i love that thing.

11. Thank you very much guys! I'll check out these suggestions and the samples.

12. gastric

gastric Professional product tester for hire

Jun 8, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    Source Audio BETA tester
    I've owned the Korg G5 as well. It has some pretty good sounds, and presets available. Works best with a BOSS OC-2 in front as it will drive the synth tones down an octave, plus you can blend in some of the dry OC-2 tone for an extra layer of thickness.

I have a review and some sound samples of the G5 on my page, too. See sig below.

13. Thanks again!