Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A very cool find, but how much?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Smokey, Dec 21, 2004.

1. So, a teacher at my school has something intersting stashed away at his house... an all original, yellow early 70s fender musicmaster, with original amp, case, and leather strap. he said it barely has a scratch on it, and he would be open to selling, since he is already an accomplished vocalist/guitar player. His grandpa bought it, but never really played it much, kinda small hobby. So, my question: If it is really in tip top shape, how much do you suppose it would run price-wise? Also, what tones would I expect, very punchy, or more like a small Precision type sound? Thanks for any input.

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    If in super clean shape, these go for about $500 these days but that's actually overpriced for what you get as they are pretty cheesy. They do NOT sound like a P-bass. They actually use a Stratocaster pickup!

3. So you're saying I would probably be paying more for the vintage thing than anything else? Now I am sure I will need test out this "beast."

4. The real value is in the package. Collectors are always looking for complete "sets" of vintage stuff. The fact that all of this was bought together makes it worth more than the pieces individually.

BTW, they didn't use strat pups. :rolleyes:

5. ksukev

ksukev

Aug 24, 2004
    Kansas
    Ahhh, the Fender Musicmaster, my very first bass. I believe I traded it in on a Westone Thunder bass.....kids. What the heck was I thinking back then?

6. What were you thinking? Lesse...playability, intonation, balance, and (making a big assumption here) Duran Duran got the girls so a bass that looked new in the '80s was a booty-aid. :bassist:
    Smokey, don't buy it to make money, and don't buy it because it is a useful musical tool. If it's a cozy bass you can play on the couch it might be worth $400 for the bass and whatever he'd accept for the set. Forget the matching amp--it has an open back, need I say more?
    Yes, you would be doing the Vintage Tango, and no, it's usually not a long dance unless that really suits you or you're incredibly patient. It's a friggin' entry level model, for Pete's sake.
    I found one leaning against the wall of a convenience store one morning...never found out why, but nobody came back for it either so it was mine. Played it at one rehearsal and zang, it was sold to finance something else. Total stinker, and it had a replacement Strat pup, which was a convenient replacement for the original Musicmaster gtr pup. :D