Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A very funky Christmas

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Like a big dog, Dec 16, 2002.

1. Like a big dog

Like a big dog

Jun 18, 2001
    Texas, USA
    I decided I want to learn a Christmas song, since I don't know any. I'm also trying to learn slap technique right now. So I thought I'd combine the two and learn to slap a Christmas carol. However, I didn't know which song would sound cool in that style. Any suggestions? Are there any good recordings of bassists playing some holiday tunes? Thanks in advance.

2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

If you go to the "Recordings" forum you will see some threads about Christmas jazz. Several Cds of Christams jazz are discussed. One I have is "Chris Bottis' December". There's some great bass playing on that album.

If you don't wish to purchase an album, some holiday standards might lend themselves to funk or a percussive slap style rather well. One would be "Little Drummer Boy." Another would be "Jingle Bells." Also "Jingle Bell Rock."

Anyway, check out the thread on Christmas Jazz in the "Recordings" forum.

3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I just checked out the Chris Botti Cd I mentioned. As it happens, the song "Little Drummer Boy" is done in a funk style. The bass line may be exactly what you are after.

Bop

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    On a similar note, I recently bought "Christmas on Death Row" a rap album with christmas songs. Most of them are sung, but the Snoop song "Santa Clause is coming straight to the ghetto" is great. I love the discount bin!

5. Does anyone remember Christmas Wrapping by the Waitresses? I think it's more pop than funk, but, it's got a great bassline to it. Hey, I can't play it.

http://www.hardcafe.co.uk/waitresses/xmas_wrapping.htm

This is a good song - very different, but, it's hard to catch on the radio.

Sorry, the audio link doesn't work. :(

Mike J.