1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A Very Sad Day Indeed...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Definitely, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Definitely

Definitely Banned

Pepper, my beloved rabbit of 11 years, passed away last night. I got the call today from my dad that he wouldn't drink last night and he didn't make it to the morning. I got him when I was 3, and I can't remember a time without him hopping around in my room...

He was long past his life expectancy, and had a growth for the past couple years, but it had started to shrink by last week and we thought it was a good sign, but he seemed to lose all strength and lost tons of weight. I was cleaning his cage Saturday morning before leaving for my grandparents' and when I pulled him out and put him on my bed he just fell over and looked at me. I knew I likely wouldn't see him again and there was enough crying that morning, but nothing compared the past twenty minutes. The part that hurts the most is the fact that I wasn't there to see him off.

:bawl::bawl::bawl::bawl::bawl::bawl:

2. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sorry for your loss bro. From death, springs new life and opportunity to love another soul.

3. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    My condolences.

4. RosieB

RosieB

Feb 10, 2009
    I'm so sorry, and that you couldn't be with him. You're lucky to have had him for such a long time! What kind was he?

I had a pet rabbit when I was younger. Netherlands dwarf. He was very affectionate, and had such a personality. I always got a kick out of the way he would thump his feet as he hopped away when he was mad.

Share some memories maybe?

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Sorry buddy. Do you have any pictures of Pepper to share with us?

-Mike

6. Definitely

Definitely Banned

He was a Norwegian Dwarf, and he'd thump his feet whenever I was petting a dog in my room, but he only did it with the dogs, which makes me wonder whether he recognized them or something...
    Just this week my grandparents' dog was living with us while they were away, and he didn't notice the rabbit until Friday and spent all of Friday sitting in my room barking his head off at the cage, I hadn't taken a close look at him in a few days and didn't realize he was so ill, I can't imagine how he felt. I have more stories, but I'm tired and not really in any mood to type out a paragraph on my tiny little iPod keyboard at the moment :).
    I do from when I was about 10 somewhere, not sure if they're on my laptop here or not, I'll check.

7. bassistjoe93

bassistjoe93 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Sorry man, loss of pets is a tough thing to go through. Especially after bonding with them for years. Just remember the sweet, happy, funny, etc., memories you have of him. It's never a fun/easy process losing a pet you were close to.

8. Fretless1!

Fretless1!

Feb 19, 2007
    My condolences, brother.

9. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

Sounds like pepper had a good run and a great family.

What makes life so sweet is knowing it's fleeting. Tough lessons young'un and it doesn't get any easier, but if you're a pet person, you'll have to endure it several times in your lifetime unless you get a turtle or a parrot :) My first pet loss was at about your age too.
    One Dot. White cat with one black dot. I wasn't overly imaginative as a child :D

10. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Sorry to hear about your bunny, dude.

11. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Pets are family. Sorry for your loss. :(

12. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Wow two TB pet loss threads in the same day..ugh.. so sorry dude. He sounds like he was a great rabbit.

13. Chef FourString

Chef FourString

Feb 4, 2011
    Texas
    Sorry, man. A pair of my closest friends have a female rabbit they saved from slaughter by another friend. Bunny Lulu, aka Berns Mcgerns, Berns Berns and Bernys. She is awesome. She'll do 360 hops and walk on hind legs for greens. Rabbits are extremely affectionate; she loves giving kisses. Especially if you're sweaty. After my bud and I do Escrima she'll lick our legs untill we have to put her outside. She is a weird rodent. I'm sorry about your friend, duder. You'll see'em again. :)

14. Very sorry for your loss! Losing a pet sucks. I did my share of crying when I lost a few of my dogs recently.

15. Definitely

Definitely Banned

Thanks guys, I'm still trying to grasp the fact that he's gone. He was always there, he was always mine, and then *poof* you leave for a week and he's just...gone. I guess I won't really believe it until I see my empty dresser with no cage on top...

My parents buried him for me, after saying they would preserve him if I really wanted to see him one last time, but it seemed too creepy and I just wanted him to be at rest. I'll be making a cross or headstone of some sort when I get home, and he will be forever remembered.

I got him for Christmas when I was three and named him myself, any guesses on what colour he might've been? :)

16. I'm really sorry - I'm a rabbit lover too. I just lost an 9 year old Netherland (Brownie), a 10 year old Florida White (Rex), and a 8 year old Himalayan (Stuart) in the last year, and 5 others in the last 2 1/2 years. All were rescues around the same age, and last month I was down to just one. My wife, and dog died just prior to the rabbits.

Last month I went to CL (just looking), and found a guy down the road with with several baby rabbit litters of 5 different breeds. I couldn't resist! I came back with the cutest pair of (broken) Mini Rex, and a (hotot) Netherland.

I miss all the ones me and my wife rescued, but the new ones help fill the empty hole in my heart. My advice is maybe after a month or so - check out some breeders ..... a new baby rabbit is just plain adorable and will help fill your empty hole.

Once again - I'm truly sorry ... I know the feeling. :bawl: