Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A very stressful day

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jazzbo, Jun 1, 2003.

1. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I'll fill in the details later, but I had to fire 3 band members today. It was one of the most stressful things I've had to do in a very long time.

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I can relate. I'm in the middle of a situation involving replacing a longstanding member of a group I play in with another who is more reliable and more consistent. One the one hand, I'm thinking, "this is the right thing for both myself AND the group", and on the other, I'm thinking, "who am I to play God?". When you add friendship into the equation, it all adds up to a serious bitches brew.

All I can say is, if you're sure that what you did is for the best, then just try to live through the immediate SUCKAGE that must ensue and keep your thoughts on the benefits that lie ahead. We're all learning in this business, and these kinds of lessons are almost always the hardest. Best of luck in your situation.

3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    firing band members is some of the hardest stuff i've had to do. sucks even more when you're on the other side though.

i try to make sure of a couple of things. 1. that the person knows exactly why they're getting dumped. 2. if it's something that the guy/girl getting dumped might be able to fix or change, that they at least be given that opportunity first.

a "friend" once replaced me while i was on vacation in florida. without even discussing his unhappiness with the situation. that was 4 years ago, we just recently started talking again.

4. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    How big is the band you're in, jazzbo? If I did something like that, I'd be the only one left.

Sorry for your troubling times. You'll find better ones.

edit: err, jazz band. i got it.

5. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    It was an 8 piece. I'm going to rework it as 6.

6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Ouch, that's a bad way to start a week.

Well, the worst bit's over and you lived through it. An 8-piece band is a pretty big animal. I can guess what happenned. Sort of.

7. Yeah, we just had to fire our first drummer, as he was only 12 years old, and he was actually obssessed with the singer :rolleyes: so that kinda sucked, and a million other reasons. It is hard, he kept texting us asking for forgiveness, but we just had to get rid. Luckily, we found a drummer whio lives on my street :p so that was ok.