1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A very Windy scare...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Foxrock321, Sep 25, 2018.

1. so yesterday I'm playing my regular Monday gig at the Slab, ( an outdoor beer garden 12-3) weather was perfect..The tourist ambled in grabbed their tables and drinks...about 2, the clouds rolled in along with some pretty strong winds.
    We play under one of those craft tents with sides, so we put down the one to block the wind (big mistake)... I was in the middle of a trombone solo, when I hear my bass going down behind me..
    . a huge rush of wind blew the flap against my bass on it's stand and it went down, but, it ended up resting on my amp and my keyboardist amp with the neck and bridge resting off the ground in between!! Maaaaaan..a few scratches to the bottom boot, but no damage to the neck or bridge..had to plug the jack back into the pickup, retune, but other than that, no harm no foul....a very Windy scare..the weather got even worse, rain ect so the proprietor shut down for the afternoon...still got paid though...maybe it's time to purchase an inside only upright..

2. nbsipics

nbsipics Gypsy Bass Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    Man that is not good! When it Blows that Blows. A Preston was it? I am guessing not, as you have not offed' yourself yet. Sorry for the jokes - but that's why I use an EUB outside - less windage :)

madbanjoman likes this.
  3. Scary. The nightmare we all share.

Wasn't there a double bass flying around in the tornado that took out the Wicked Witch of the East?

4. Seanto

Seanto

Dec 29, 2005
    USA
    Glad you're bass was minimally damaged. I think this shows some truth with the anti-stand folks that they are just an accident waiting to happen.