A visit to ... The Bass Place.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Munjibunga, Oct 25, 2004.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    When I pulled into Phoenix (actually Tempe, I think) on Wednesday, I figured I might as well get a couple of music stores visited before I checked into the fabulous Camelback Inn. So I grooved on out the 202 loop to Scottsdale Road, and dropped in at The Bass Place. I walked in and was greeted by Heather, who handles the in-store sales, internet sales and frequents TB. Lee was there, too.

OK. Gobs o' basses, amps, and accessories. I hung out there for what must've been a couple hours. There are hundreds of basses on the walls (I didn't memorize them, so see their web site) including Laklands, Moduli, G.Goulds, and the requisite Fenders, Peaveys, Corts, and others in all price ranges. Amps? Eden, SWR, Aguilar, Ashdown, GK, et al. A guy came in, played an Ashdown Mag 300 410 combo for about 15 seconds, bought it and took it away.

Anyway, they let me play a prototype Lakland Hollowbody through a DB750 and a D-410XLT. Very thumpy. Played a G.Gould, too.

So here's the deal. The prices I saw marked on things were very competitive, kind of like what you'd have to haggle for elsewhere. Heather and Lee were extremely friendly and knowledgeable. No, they didn't give me any perks to say this stuff, there's just a good vibe there. On the other hand, I did sense a bit of a Gard-like presence, summoning one to buy gear, in a mildly evil way. Anyway, this ain't to cut BC's pot of gold, but just to make you aware of another quality company out there with lots of good crud.
  2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA

ain't nuthin' like some good crud.....:)

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Witness: you don't have to go to Guitar Center or Musician's Friend. This is good.
  4. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Is this gonna turn into a East Coast/West Coast thing?

"Bass Central, represent!"
    "That be a East Coast mutha, bro! BASS PLACE IN THE HOUSE!"

...man, I hope so.
  5. I bought my first bass from them and can't think of enough nice things to say about them-they are truely a class act.

I live in north Peoria and don't hesitate to make the 40+ mile drive, past countless music stores, to go there. Even for little stuff like strings and cables.

Nice shop and nice people.

6. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I bought a bass from The Bass Place. (Modulus Quantum 5) They were always very warm and welcoming. Lee and Heather always invite me to try whatever basses and amps I want. The Bass Place is an hour and a half from Tucson, so I always make it a point to stop in. Sometimes I buy stuff, sometimes I just get to check out gear that is not available in Tucson. I have never felt pressured to buy anything. Heather is cute too! +1 for The Bass Place! - Gary
  7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    where be my east coast bruthas???
    represent yo...............

how was that? i practiced my ghetto voice for a long time.
  8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Don't worry Gard, we're still going steady.
  9. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    ...just tell me you didn't kiss Heather, and I won't throw your clothes out the window...

Naw, no competetion here, we're all in this together to help our fellow lowlifes get the tools they need to make the booties move.

10. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Going to ASU I'm lucky enough to live a scant few miles from The Bass Place. I've visited before and their selection is impressive and the staff is great. There's never more than a person or two in there when I go either, so you always get the right kind of personal attention.