1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A vote for getting good router bits.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by DigthemLows, Nov 29, 2006.

1. DigthemLows

DigthemLows Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2003
    Sacramento CA
    No pics right now, but as I was using a 1/4 roundover bit last night on one of my body wings the bearing fell off on the last two inches and created a nice lip I have to hand sand out............now I'm going to lose an 1/8" from that part of the body........This bit was brand new, but part of the "12.99 for 15 piece set" that I'll never touch again.

2. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Ya at $0.87 each you will go wrong.:meh:

3. scottyd

scottyd Commercial User

Nov 17, 2006
    Waco Tx
    Builder/owner Redeemer Basses
    Ouch... hate to hear that, they were'nt the Harbor Freight bits were they?

4. DigthemLows

Oct 10, 2003
    Sacramento CA
    Yep, they were harbor freight bits..............Watch out for em!

5. prsbass

prsbass

Oct 13, 2006
    Seattle
    I may not by a high-end custom bass builder yet but I have been woodworking for a living for 18 years.
    The best bits I have found are "Whiteside".
    There are others but Whitesides are the ones I make raised panel doors with and get about 100 panels between sharpening.

6. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    I enjoy Whiteside bits as well. I've also had tons of luck with all of my Porter Cable bits.

7. scottyd

scottyd Commercial User

Nov 17, 2006
    Waco Tx
    Builder/owner Redeemer Basses
    Damn Harbor Freight and their too good to be true bargains....:scowl:

8. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Whiteside, CMT, Amana, are probaby the 3 best made, but also 3 of the most expensive. CMT being horribly overpriced.
    Woodcraft, Rockler, PC, Bosch, and Freud are very good, as is MLCS. The MLCS triple wing bits have been getting great reviews in Workbench, Wood, Shopnotes etc. I have come to like MLCS bit for their price. They go dull quicker than many of the pricier bits, but when I need a bit that I can't find anywhere else, I'll goto MLCS. Mos of my bits are Whiteside and Amana, but I o have a number of MLCS and Woodcraft bits also

Router bits are like children.....you can't throw them away, and they keep inviting more friends to the party.

9. :eek: (looks sideways at his set of harbor freight bits) Thanks for the heads-up! Quality bits just moved up on my shopping list.

10. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Woodcraft has a lot their bits on sale now for $5 each. Comments? Are these OK?

11. I've had very bad experiences with woodcraft bits. MCLS are better, but like has been said before, they go dull pretty quick. I would not recommend these for the pro, but certainly would for the hobbyist given their price.

12. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

As a hobbyist, I've found Freud bits to be very nice. Up here you can also get Mastercraft bits at Canadian Tire, which are also surprisingly good. I just got a set of 30 that were on sale for $69.99 (regular price was 299.99 or something).

13. DigthemLows

Oct 10, 2003
    Sacramento CA
    I just got a whiteside template bit yesterday and it's great!