1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A Warwick electronics history question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by musicelectronix, Apr 27, 2009.

1. musicelectronix

musicelectronix

Jul 8, 2007
    Hüstın, TX
    Lead Designer, Zeibek Boutique Pedals
    I am sure we have some Warwick experts and many many Warwick players here. The question is simple really. What pickups and/or preamps they used and have been using until today, especially in Corvettes?

Did they ever have a house brand (before 2000s maybe)? Did they ever use Basslines? I think if we collabarete (not me though :) ), we can put together a "discography" of Warwick electronics. I am sure it will be useful to many.

2. musicelectronix

musicelectronix

Jul 8, 2007
    Hüstın, TX
    No takers? :)

3. Fred19137

Fred19137

Jan 23, 2009
    active musician
    well I don't know much(I will definately be following this thread to learn more). As far as I knew warwick used their own pickups, and using baselines seems to be stooping at any part in their histroy. But I am young-ish and my histroy ain't
    complete yet(maybe never hahahahahah)

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

MEC's have been the pickup of choice for several years now for Warwick. They can be custom ordered with anything you like. I have seen EMGs, Basslines, Bartolinis, Bill Lawrence, and others that came from the factory that way.

5. MHensleyJr

MHensleyJr

May 5, 2008
    Redlands, CA
    +1 My corvette fna has a MEC in it.

6. musicelectronix

musicelectronix

Jul 8, 2007
    Hüstın, TX
    Yep, I am aware of that. My question is originated from an assumption really. I never paid attention to Warwicks until very recently. In the past, I remember pickups with a capital "W" on them. I think that was about 7-8 years ago. I also remember no logo pickup that I saw 1-2 years ago and now I am wondering if it was stock. In another perspective, I am trying to understand the huge price increase. I disctincly remember them being around 650-750 range, not that long ago. So what provoked such an hike, MEC pickups?

And so on...

7. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    IIRC Warwick originally used to use aftermarket pickups and preamps, predominently Bartolini and EMG, but I believe the Streamers used to have Basslines in them for the soapbars. Around the mid Nineties they swapped over to using their own "in-house" brand of MEC which was basically a copy of the EMG preamp and various pickups. Warwick never, as faw as I know, had a "W" on any of their pickups. I believe the change to MEC was pre-97 because my old Warwick Fortress Flashback had MEC pickups already in it and it was a 97 model. FWIW I never liked the MEC electronics and that is another reason why the early 90's Warwicks are still (IMO) the only ones worth looking at.

8. Sbociol

Sbociol

Feb 24, 2009