A warwick question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by belair57, Jan 18, 2001.

1. Well I've recently come into some money and I want to get a new bass. I have tried many basses but the one that really sticks out to me is the Warwick Streamer LX. My question is
    Is there any difference between the Streamer LX and the Streamer Stage I other than the LX having a bolt-on neck and the Stage I being neck-through and more expensive. Does that make the Stage I any better, really.
  2. air_leech

Sep 1, 2000

hey Belair.

I happen to own a 00' Streamer LX5, and it's indeed a great bass but you should keep in mind that it might not be similar to the Stage I.

the Stage I has only a wenge fingerboard and no ovangkol in it while the LX has a Wenge or Ovangkol neck with Wenge fingerboard.

also the Stage I has a wider neck (like the BroadNeck option on LX and Thumb BOs) and a 3 band EQ while the LX has the MECII preamp with only 2 bands of EQ.

unfortunatly I never played a Streamer Stage I and never seen one in personal so I cannot comment on the differences in sound or playability.
  3. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Streamer LX = Bolt On, 2 Band MEC Electronics,1 Piece Ovangkol Neck with Wenge Fingerboard, Flame Maple Grade A body.

Streamer Stage I = Neck Trough, 3 Band Basslines Electronics, 3 piece BirdsEye Maple/Vern Neck with Wenge Fingerboard, Flame Maple AAA Wings.
    If you analize it.. The Streamer Stage I would be closer to the original Spector with is completely Maple made excepting the fingerboard of course.
  4. michael

Mar 10, 2000
    Hi belair

The Stage I is also 1.5 lbs. heavier. I just bought a Streamer LX 4 before Christmas. I haven't played a Stage I but from what I remember the Stage II sounded a little more transparent than the LX (like when chording). It sold, and I couldn't afford it, but I like the LX. The bolt on neck also sounds different. The quality is the same. If you like the LX, the Stage I isn't necessarily going to be better, even though it's more money. It's just a different setup. Also, you don't get the mid EQ on the LX, but you get a passive pullup switch on the volume knob which is kinda neat. The Stage I doesn't have that. The volume knob is stacked with the pan pot on the Stage I and I doubt that it is as convenient as the separate knobs on the LX.

On a side note, I just got an SWR rig and got a *lot* of radio interference from the LX while my Precision with EMGs is totally quiet. I wrapped foil all over the internal wiring (after taping over the bare connections) and lined inside the cover and it's way better now. Through my Mesa/Boogie it was quieter than the Precision before the shielding though, so go figure.
  5. air_leech

Sep 1, 2000

sorry michael but the push/pull knob is not throwing the electronics into passive mode.
    this is a common belife with Warwicks and it is true to the Std. Corvette and the Fortress but the Streamer LX is equiped with Active Stacked Humbucking J pickups (I e- mailed warwick and they confirmed this).

try to remove the battery and you will see you can't get any sound out of the LX either with the Vol. knob pulled or pushed back.

that might be a minus if you care for vintage sounds and if you often forget to change batterys. I am neither of the above.
  6. michael

Mar 10, 2000
    Hi Leech

Thanks for the info, but I'm still unsure about this and I have taken the battery out to see if it worked, and no it didn't . But I have also e-mailed Warwick and this is the response:

"Dear sir,

On the LX the push-pull pot is for act/pass mode.

In is act out is pass!!!

Hope this helps

with best regards

Warwick GmbH & Co. Music Equipment KG
    3/1/01 09.30
    Norman Benezra
    Export Sales "

So what gives??? Sounds like even Warwick is conflused! I asked the rep at the store and he said the electronics for the pickups were separate from the pickups but I think they're built in, looking at the compartment. So I think what is really going on is that the pull up knob is a tone defeat, bypassing the active electronics, but leaving the pickups themselves outputting actively.

I like it, too, anyways :)
  7. extreme

Mar 20, 2000
    Okay, first of all I'll explain the active/passive deal from my experience. No, it doesn't truly allow you to run in passive, but it allows you to dial in a tone with the active EQ and then pull the knob out to quickly switch to a flat sound...

Now, I would like to emphasize that the biggest difference between the Stage 1 and the LX is the neck woods. The Stage 1 (only has wenge "streamers" and fingerboard) has a smoother, more refined sound to it while the LX (wenge neck and fingerboard) is more aggresive. This is my attempt to describe the difference in sound as these are both great basses! The LX may do a slightly better job at cutting through (upper mids) a mix while the Stage 1 may do a little better job at sitting under (lower mids) a mix. Of course, I'm talking about the natural sound of the instruments without any EQ.

Rock on!