Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

a Warwick Streamer Jazzman won best bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sahbiot, Sep 23, 2002.

1. Sahbiot

Sahbiot

Aug 28, 2002
    Australia, Sydney
    Is the Warwick Streamer Jazzman the best electric bass in 2001? I got this from the warwick website:

At the 2001 Musikmesse, the world’s largest musical instrument tradeshow held in Frankfurt, Germany every year, Warwick’s Streamer Jazzman received the 2001 M.I.P.A. (Musikmesse International Press Award) for best electric bass design. Thirty-one magazines from all over the world choose the winners of the M.I.P.A. award, and Warwick is very honored to receive this recognition.

does anyone know anything about this award? how many basses it competed with?

also i found this other site that said that the Streamer Jazzman also won the 2002 award! TWO YEARS RUNNING?! BACK TO BACK!? here's the link:

http://www1.mipa-award.de/winner2002.htm

also press the "mipa party pics 2002" link to see all these big names at the awards.

cheers :cool:

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Best bass in Germany!! ;)

3. Sahbiot

Sahbiot

Aug 28, 2002
    Australia, Sydney
    You sure about that? im very interested in knowing this big award cause apparently they believe the MIPA award is equivalent to the Grammy except this time for musical instruments and equipment.

also i just found this at the mipa website:

"51 magazines from all over the world got together to vote for the best products of 2001/2002 in more than 40 categories"

wouldnt that suggest that it is an international voting system? humm i wonder what magazines are involved.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Exactly - there is really no such thing as "best" - it's always down to personal preference.

I'm sure that people who have had Michael Tobias or Ken Smith (to name but two) build them a bass are convinced that they have the best bass in the world and nobody would be able to tell them otherwise.

As Josh says it's just about the best bass for you and even if an album does win a Grammy, it doesn't mean I have to like it - in fact it's probably the opposite!! ;)

5. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Well, without defining the category it competed in so to speak, and its competitors, it's hard to tell what the award really means. Perhaps it's no more than "the best bass Warwick could come up with this year". ;)

6. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    it does look pretty cool ;)

7. Bruce Lindfield

Well if you follow the link it only appears to have two and not that hot either!!

Dean Edge Basses
    Fender Sting Signature Bass
    Warwick Streamer Jazzman

Seriously though - no amount of awards would have any influence on whether I thought a bass was any good and it is ridiculous to say that one bass is the best in the world - for what? Jazz funk, reggae, Afro Cuban, two-handed tapping, etc etc.

In the same way that eminem (or whoever) might scoop all the awards at a world music ceremony, but it still wouldn't mean I thought he was any good!

8. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    good point...agreed

9. Sahbiot

Sahbiot

Aug 28, 2002
    Australia, Sydney
    I agree aswell, Yep it is true that everyone has their own taste and favour, and that certain basses are used for its purposed style of music. so we could disregard the award was based on sound. What got me thinking was what way they got to the conculsion that the jazzman was the best?

versatility?
    durability?
    cost?
    ...etc

10. Bruce Lindfield

Or maybe the fact that Warwick needed some publicity and it was a German show, that wanted to help and promote German makers? ;)

Too cynical?

11. Sahbiot

Sahbiot

Aug 28, 2002
    Australia, Sydney
    hehehe i had that in mind too! can't rule that out.

umm you know we could get killed for knowing this...

*bang*

12. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Maybe not. Perhaps they have a hard time selling enough Jazzmen. Most of those who buy one of the non-cheap (Corvette, Streamer Std, Rockbass) Warwicks seem to get either a Thumb or one of the St. Stages. At least that's the impression I get from reading far too many Talkbass posts. :oops: