A wattage question that i couldent find an answer for in the sticky post.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by djshawn47, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Ok. I hate even asking this because it I know it has been discussed without end,and I did search the sticky post as well…but I could not find the answer and it has to do with watts and Ohms.

If I have a 900 watt mono head w/ a 4 ohm minimum load, and I hook in two 8 ohm cabs with each having an RMS of 750 watts per cab. The load is now 4 ohms ( I understand that) but is each cab getting 900 watts or is each cab getting 450 watts?

Please don’t slay me for asking this…..

2. theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Your getting 450 watts into each cabinet. Don't worry about the fact that your putting less power into each cabinet than each cabinet is rated for. There's nothing wrong with doing that. The only time that this can cause you trouble is when you try to get more out of the amp than it can give you(i.e. when your amp is clipping). So don't think because you have more power handling capability in your speakers than your amp can put out you can turn it up to 11.
  3. Each cab is getting 450 watts if you ran the amp at full power. However running the amp full is a bad idea since then the amp will distort. This type of signal is very likely to damage the speakers even if the wattage is below the amount the speakers can cope with.
  4. Jimmy-X

Jan 1, 2006
    Why will running an amp till it distorts into cabinet rated higher than the output of the amp hurt the speakers?
    Is is because when an amp distorts is actually putting our MORE wattage than its spec'd for clean, or is there some weird emf feedback issue?
    Or do you just think square waves are bad for speakers?
  5. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Not necessarily. It's not about distortion but about (1) giving some part of the speaker more energy than it can handle or (2) forcing some component to move beyond its capacity (overexcursion). See the mutliple posts on these topics by Mark Reccord and Bob Lee in particular.
  6. 4runner

4runner WARNING!"WALL OF DOOM" does "exceed" 140 decibels!

Feb 11, 2006
    Hackensack NJ,
    Hey djshawn47, first of all, you don't need to be ashamed to ask a question, even if you've asked that same question 100 times; especially one concerning ohm's law [most people get hung up on that subject]. Each one of your cabinets will share [divide] a part of the 900 watts equally; in this case, 900 watts divides into two halves, which is 450, and 450.:bassist:
  7. Boomer

Sep 17, 2003
    Hollywood, FL
    If you drive a tube amp into distortion it certainly will put out more than its rated power output, maybe even double the rating but there's nothing wrong with power tube distortion.

Amps are generally rated at their maximum clean output.

If you drive a solid state amp into clipping, it is a very bad thing for your speakers.