A way of using a Looper live??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mrpackerguy, Oct 14, 2005.

1. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I'm not a looper; only thinking of getting into it. What do you think of this idea: using the looper to "accessorize" our live band sound.

For instance, I'd love to have hand-clapping at the beginning of "Twist and Shout". I'd love to be able to punch in that rising flange sound on the breaks of Cheap Tricks's "California Man." I'd love to be able to add a twin electric guitar line to various short guitar riffs on certain songs. I'd love to add an afuche or other rhythmic effects to choruses of certain songs.

Now I realize timing is going to be an issue, but that might only take a little practice.

Is my fanticized use of the looper in this fashion doable?
  2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    sure, I used an RC-20XL with my band for a few of those things:
    drum loops, synth intros, synth arpeggio outros
    as you say, timing is of course completely crucial
  3. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    As everyone has said, timing will take some serious practice.
  4. yeah, I know the RC-20 has 11 banks of memory, and bank 11 is a one-shot phrase, meaning you record the loop, and every time you hit play, it plays the phrase once and is done...
  5. Unchain

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Oh, thats pretty neat. I like that, might have to look into that. :smug:
  6. Yeah, a looper will let you do that stuff, and if your drummer is on the ball you can also loop a bassline to free you up to harmonize your guitarist or something.

Digitech Jamman. Huge capacity to store various loops, plus the ability to save/copy stuff on/off your computer.
  7. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    OK, thanks guys, I think I'm on to something.

So on the handclaps for instance, would that keep looping until I stop it, or is it like Superbass says above, it plays through then stops? The new Jamman must have a continuous loop setting or some such thing.
  8. Unchain

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Yeah, it's just loop 11 thats a one-timer.
  9. johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    Ditto. 99% of the time when I play live, my RC-20XL ha sno inputs connected to it. It's just an output running into the PA. I trigger several "events" during songs. For example;
    Saturday Night's Allright- Elton John. The syth sweep beofre teh last chorus
    Hot Blooded - Foreigner: The organ drone during the pre-chorus. ("Now it's up to you..."
    Sweet Madame Blue - Styx the high speed keybd run

None of these parts require syncronization/ We use to do "Bab O"Reilly" and the drummer had trouble hearing the sequencer part so I bought a headphone amp for him.

That other 1% of thetime I do "The Fish" by Chris Squire/Yes by looping all of the basses. I do thi song between sets sometimes. So I patch my bass signal chain into the RC-20XL's input and run the output into my bass amp. I was looking at a loooper or switching box to do this but for just one song, it's hardly worth it.

- JV