Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A way to help newbies...

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by Selta, Mar 25, 2005.

1. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    OK, I don't know how good of an idea this is, or how pratical it is, but it's something I just thought of...
    All of us know that it seems people just don't use the search function, and end up posting a question that's been either discussed to death, or is even sticky'd at the top of the forum!
    What I think we could do, would be when a new user registers, along with the validating e-mail, you either include, or send another e-mail with links to the FAQ/stickes/etc. I find it kind of tiresome when I log into TB and see the same topics at the top of the forums... but that's me.

Ray

2. Maybe there should be a function whereby newbies cannot post into a forum until they have read the stickies at the top of the page. Any attempt to post would just direct them to the FAQ section or something.

I am getting really tired of the "which strings/amp/bass/carrot should I buy" type threads. it seems there is a new one every day. some musicians need to realise that its all about taste, personal opinion and cash when determining equipment. no one here really has the qualification to say "only buy Fender/Fodera/Sadowsky/Behringer :eek: etc...

thanks for letting me rant....

3. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    I think that both suggestions are great ones but I would like to add that seeing TB'rs sometimes rudely direct newbies to the search function is very old. Perhaps linking old, beat to death threads to the search function would help as well.

4. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Hey guys, didn't get an e-mail about anyone replying. I do tend to jump down newbies throats about the search, but I try to be polite about it. It just *really* aggreviates me when I can see 4 and 5 of the same threads all on the first page, most posted by newbies. Maybe we just need to make the search button bigger or something. Anyone else have any input?

Ray

5. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    Ray
    I was'nt suggesting that you do this, sorry if I made it look that way.

6. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Oh, I dunno if you were implying that I did or not, but I readily admit that I do. :)

Ray

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Then again.....you can really bump up your post count by simply throwing in a "Do a search" post in all those threads. :D

The newbie threads don't bother me as they once did. I just refrain from adding much since I figure if they are too dumb to figure out a search, they are just going to buy whatever the salesperson at GC suggests regardless of what we tell them.

-Mike

8. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Never thought of it like that... I agree. :)

I find this irritating too.

9. Slightly off topic - how can KeithPas post here when he doesn't have a supporting member icon in his name bar?

10. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    The Suggestion Box forum doesn't have any restrictions, I believe.

11. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Correct - you're thinking of the Lounge.

Ray

12. RLT

RLT

Jul 10, 2004
    South Central OH
    You need to be a supporting member to post suggestions now?

13. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    No

14. SciFiGuy

SciFiGuy

Dec 27, 2003
    Madison, IN
    Maybe each new member should get an email
    • Directing them to the FAQs
    • Encouraging them to use the search
    • Reminding them to be as specific as possible (what music do you play/rig you use)
    • With a list of common abbreviations (GAS, MIJ)

15. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    A dictonary of abbreviations used here in TB would be a brilliant idea! It took me way to long to figure out what GAS stood for!!!! :)

16. daofktr

daofktr irritating, yet surly

Feb 15, 2005
    aurora, IN
    i think that an introductory email listing the threads with FAQs and such is a great idea.

i have to say i'm guilty...but i try to do it not-so-rudely.
    i was a noob, once. hell, i'm not so much of an old hand! :D

i guess it seems like a rite of entry: noob posts a chestnut, veterans groan yet again, someone replies with a 'welcome to TB/search for it, moron!' posting, the nicer members jump on that post, the vet gets defensive/pissy, the noob thinks s/he ended up in tabcrawler, and the debate goes on...

(FWIW, i appreciate the search function, and do use it. glad i found out about it.)