1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

a way to mimic a simple synth pad

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by sonicnuance, Apr 16, 2010.

1. sonicnuance

sonicnuance Commercial User

Aug 30, 2003
    California, USA
    Engineer & Owner, Sonic Nuance Electronics
    I'm looking for something that I can run my bass into to get simple "filler" synth pads for intros to songs.

I'm not looking for a funky bass solo kind of thing, just long sustained notes

Can the SYB5 do it?

Thanks

2. Well the SYB5 does have a sample-and-hold feature. I have one listed in the used effects forums.

3. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    EHX BMS
    EHX HOG
    Eventide PitchFactor
    Eventide ModFactor (check out the undulator setting)
    come to mind.
    I'm not very familiar with the SYB5.

4. sonicnuance

sonicnuance Commercial User

Aug 30, 2003
    California, USA
    Engineer & Owner, Sonic Nuance Electronics
    Are there any examples of these pedals I can listen to?

Thanks

5. I'd say you need a Philosopher's Tone or something similar to give extreme sustain. From there I think a HOG=>Modfactor/other mod pedal=>Filter and maybe a delay thrown into the mix would give some interesting results that could make pad sounds.

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    There's a setting on the Pitchfactor that sustains notes? I assume you mean on the Synthonizer setting, but I haven't found one as you describe yet.

7. takfar

takfar

Dec 21, 2008
    The SYB5 can hold a synth note for as long as you keep your foot on the switch. you can keep playing over it with your clean tone (of course, you can then add any effect to the synth and clean down the line with other pedals/effects).

8. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    EHX BMS

EHX HOG (sorry can't find a good one for bass, but it will give you a general idea)

Eventide PitchFactor (it doesn't show you synthonizer, but you can see what it does to the clean signal if you click the banks on and off)

Eventide ModFactor

I'm not talking about a setting that sustains notes (I wish there was one though, it would be awesome), but rather both the synthonizer setting as well as the crystals setting.

9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Ah- the OP was asking for a pedal that makes long sustained synth notes, so I thought you had found a setting I hadn't.

10. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    Yeah. It won't sustain the notes for you, but it will certainly mimic certain synth-esque sounds.

11. rottenramone

rottenramone

Dec 11, 2003
  12. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Mr David Gilmour offers a solution: run an fx loop in parallel, with a volume pedal feeding a delay pedal. Sweep the pedal in to generate the soft attack, then cut the volume entirely. You can play whatever you want while the original chord echoes - he performed the "Shine on you crazy diamond" intro this way on one of his recent tours, and it's quite evocative:

c-

13. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England