a wee question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by apoodangle, Mar 2, 2004.

1. is it just me or do you guys like your basses to be reasonably beaten up too?

i think it just gives em character... i badly need to play some shows with my essex and beat hell out of it.
  2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama

They inadvertently get that way, but I don't like it.
  3. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    i dont think paying 3000+ for a bass then wanting it beatin up is natural. somethings deaply wronge with a person if they want that.
  4. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I like my bass beat up only if I do it and it gets that way while I'm using it the way I should. That way I have a story to tell for each ding, and it gets classy or thats how I feel in my opinion.
  5. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Something equally wrong with a person who pays $3000+ for a bass and then babies it like it was a stock investment. Basses are made to be played, and whatever damage/wear comes from it should be part of the $3000. I fully wouldn't mind taking a $3000 Roscoe into a dive bar, and would make sure I played the heck out of it.
  6. well it's kinda like the simple joy of playing a pawnshop instrument.
  7. loma

Sep 27, 2003
    i just like to play it, not BEAT it
  8. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    What do you think damage does? Gives it mojo? Releases the Good Tone Fairies?
  9. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    My feelings would be the same whether I played a $3000 bass or a $300 bass....
  10. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Shoes get worn, clothes fade, cars get scratched skin gets scarred. Instruments are made to be played. If stuff happens, stuff happens.
  11. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    I LOVE my basses to show wear from being played hundreds of hours. Damage, nope, don't like it, but if it inadvertantly happens as a consequence of use, oh well.