A weighty issue from a lightweight.....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ExoticBehemoth, Aug 21, 2018.

1. ExoticBehemoth

ExoticBehemoth

Jan 26, 2008
    Surrey, UK
    Hi there .

Looking for a bit of advice on a more light weight bass.

I've developed arthritic shoulders, which is making life a bit hard.
    I currently play a Geddy Lee signature Fender jazz and a fakewick Rock Bass 4 fretless both of which I can manage - the rockbass has always felt a bit lightweight in the past but now that's a bonus .
    My main bass for some years is a Yamaha RBX6JM (John Myung signature), which I love for a lot of reasons but is just starting to be too heavy for me to stand with .

So I was looking for recommendations for active 5-stings (I've accepted I need to drop a string to reduce the strain on my hands too) that are lightweight and versatile without losing tone . These days I play mostly at church but still want to rock and funk in my own time.

Oh and something that won't cost me loads more when I sell or trade the Yamaha. So prob sub £700.

I've not bought an instrument for a few years and feel out of touch. Facebook market place and eBay seem awash with mega cheap basses from afar. I figure I'm going to have to track down a shop (moved recently but would like some intel beforehand.

Any recommendations gladly received .

2. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I believe these are under 8 lbs...if you don't want to go 3/4 scale like a Hofner.

6_A1_E3_EEB-_FF87-4_BA9-_A102-_F1_A6_AE3226_A1.jpg
    4_F7161_CF-_D7_B7-47_B5-_B1_C3-174_B5_E930974.jpg

ExoticBehemoth likes this.
  3. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Vegas
    For lightweight 5s (I too have a shoulder issue and need light weight) the Gibson EBs that came out in 2013/14 and even the newer ones that are extra-pointy, mostly appear to be under 8lbs and about $900US. Not active, but the humbuckers are pretty beefy and can be coil tapped for versatility.

ExoticBehemoth, ajkula66 and rodl2005 like this.
  4. Moving Pictures

Moving Pictures Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Canada
    Definitely the Gibsons and also look into the Ibanez SR series and newer Yamaha TRBX series basses. Another option would be to seek out some used Peavey basses. They have some nice light weight options.

5. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    my favorite lightweight bass has become the never-spoken-of ('cept by me lol) Peavey Zodiac BXP
    they go for peanuts, super comfy, look great, killer slim neck, sounds great / mod to taste.
    upload_2018-8-21_15-31-38.png

scuzzy, dralionux and ExoticBehemoth like this.
  6. Agree. My '14 EB4 is light as a real light bass and sounds great in ALL its coil tapped options.
    Superb basses these. Imo its a shame they changed the shape. Screenshot_2017-03-29-14-58-01_zpsj1o4zydo.png

7. Herrick

Herrick

Jul 21, 2010
    Munchkin Land
    Ibanez SR.

8. ExoticBehemoth

ExoticBehemoth

Jan 26, 2008
    Surrey, UK
    Thanks guys. Liking the look of the ibanez SR.
    Any thoughts on electroacoustic basses. Only ever had one many years ago, have they improved?