1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A Weird Compliment

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Jan 8, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    After service today, the minister turned to me, and said, "you're really getting better." I did not know how to take it before because I was doing nothing that wasn't well within my ability. It turns out he was impressed with our choir's version of this song, this is not me playing or my choir, we performed our version of this song yesterday:

The real difference is our new choir director, who has some training in Jazz performance, is genuinely comfortable playing with a bassist. I don't have to simply double her lines, and she actually listens to my suggestions for bass parts. That means that people actually hear me play now. Compared to what I put up with in the past, playing with her is a real blessing.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  2. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Excellent! A former minister of ours once told me "I wanna hear that thing." I told him I'd try and not shatter the stained glass windows. :)

SirMjac28, twinjet and Dr. Cheese like this.
  3. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I don't think many play for a church choir to be soloists, but it is great to actually be heard.

SirMjac28 likes this.
  4. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    I heard churches that some of the musicians could have sat in the congregation, since you couldn't hear them.

5. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I have dealt with keyboardists who were quite loud, but wanted to play bass and only have me double their lines the entire service. That was tiresome.

Skeezix and Fretless1! like this.
  6. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Wow that's Awesome Dr. Cheese! Really dug your playing and the performance. That is one big church and congregation. You have more folks in your choir then the church I grew up in had in total members.

Joedog likes this.
  7. Fretless1!

Fretless1!

Feb 19, 2007
    That tone!!! Monstrous!

8. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    0:53-1:00 and 1:25 were awesome moments.

Doc, you're solid! I wish I had time to hear the whole thing.

9. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That's not me playing. Our church did a version of that song. I wish I sounded that good!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  10. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Oh, right. :D

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  11. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    I did the church thing for years, had some wonderful experiences and moments, don't get me wrong.

I found there was just as much drama, posturing, and egos involved as any band I had ever been involved with.

I think many times musical directors and the administration forget the core reason for what we did, which is to bring praise through music. Not bashing, just feeling your pain. Nothing worse than a musical director that feels the need to be a sound engineer as well.

SirMjac28 and Dr. Cheese like this.
  12. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    With any gig, a good BL is often the difference between an enjoyable time, or time you endure. Congrats.

bgartist and DrummerwStrings like this.
  13. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Church musicians are just musicians, no matter how sincere or insincere they are. Church vocalists often have huge egos, just like secular singers. I know I have an ego. I did not grow up playing church music, I was bred on funk and rock. It took me a few years to really develop a true feel for Gospel, and for a while I was guilty of overplaying, partially in response to overbearing keyboardists. I eventually realized that I was no Andrew Gouche, and gratuitous ad libs were working against my case, not for it. I sound a lot better being tight and fairly simple 95% of the time.

14. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    That bass tone in the clip is killer. Youtube squishes it to the point of where if had to guess I'd go Ken Smith or maybe even a Stingray.

15. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    And that's exactly the response a seasoned musician should say. Sounds like you have it figured out, and things are starting to gel. Good luck with the new bl, sounds like she is a lot better to work with.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  16. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    That's why a good sound person is so invaluable there is absolutely no reason every musician can't be heard.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  17. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    My guess is Ken Smith too. A bass that could probably kill in church with lots of midrange would be Music Man Bongo HH.

AngelCrusher likes this.
  18. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    Dr. Cheese, I'm west of st Louis a bit. Would love to visit your congregation some day. Where do you attend?

I've been playing at a church in wentzville for going on 13 years.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  19. For a while I played keys at our church. 50% time we had a bass player. When we did, I pretty much played right hand only. Or I was very light with the left hand or played a octave up to stay in practice when the bass was not there.

ak56 and Dr. Cheese like this.
  20. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That is certainly how it should be done. I think a problem is that many church keyboardists do not have enough experience playing with a bassist, and they do not understand that a bassist may not play they would. It is hard to give doing something that most of them do well and leave it to someone else on a different instrument.

pappabass likes this.