Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

a weirder decision - ampeg or carvin

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cronus, Jun 28, 2003.

1. cronus

cronus Guest

Jan 17, 2002
    Romulus, Michigan
    hey there guys, i really need some help on a new head. i need to get a whole new rig, i am going to get an avatar 4x10 cab...but ive been searching the internet and came across 2 heads. the ampeg b2r($550) and a carvin r1000($665). about $100 more for the carvin with LOTS more power, but i do not know how reliable carvins are. which one do you would you recommend for a bassist playing music like pantera, shadows fall, nothingface, slayer type music

i would very much appreciate some info

2. Which ever one sounds crappier, BA ZING! Nah, just kidding, with that kind of music you are gonna need the power, carvin.

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Carvins are pretty popular around here. I would get the carvin.

I agree with that, too. You are going to need the extra power that the carvin has.

4. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    Toronto
    i think ampegs sound better, but (not to bash metal) tone quality may not be as crutial to you. so i say another YAY for carvin.

5. You may want to consider the fact that Carvin's idea of 1000 watts may not be 1000 watts. I used to work at the factory and I know they streeeetched the power ratings a little here and there. The bass players in the bands you mentioned are probably Ampeg users, no? Anyways, I tend to lean towards Ampeg because of the tone and rumble. Both are important in said music styles. Not to mention the fact that the Ampegs' alittle less $ and will probably hold it's value better.b

6. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    I assume you're playing w/ two very loud guitar players and a loud drummer...
    That said, will you be running the ampeg at 4 or 8 ohms? It only pushes 200w at 8 ohms and that's definately not enough for metal in my opinion. I gigged for quite awhile w/ 350w though and if you EQ things right and your guitarists aren't always all 'chugga chugga' that can be plenty. I should say that 350w never game me much headroom to work with, I'm not sure what type of tone you're really going for. I'm as big a metalhead as you'll meet but I'm a big fan of the hi-fi modern bass sound haha.

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I've never really liked the sound of the Carvin. A rehearsal studio had that head with a 2x15 cab & I could never get a sound I liked.

Personally, I really like the B2R. I think its's a really good sounding heade & IMO, if you get 2 8ohm cabs, you'll be fine. Maybe a 4x10 & a 1x15.

It also depends on the gear your guitarist(s) are using. If you have one with a 1/2 stack, the 410 should be fine if you have 2 w/2 full stacks, I suggest you get an 810. :)

8. cronus

cronus Guest

Jan 17, 2002
    Romulus, Michigan
    2 guitarists, both running 100W...drummer is very loud, if you guys have ever heard the death metal band SUFFOCATION, thats him. thanks for the replies guys....i think i will try carvin

9. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    definitely get the carvin, maybe used for like $450. i have that head and prefer it over an ampeg head that my drummer has.

1. carvin is way more reliable, ampoeg has cut on me several times and blew a couple fuses.

2. carvin is way lighter, but im not sure about anything on the B2R you mentioned.

3. most importantly, tone. the ampeg had too much mud, thats the only way to describe it. it didnt drive my cab like i wanted it to. the carvin has a nice clean tone, that can be warm, can be hi-fi, can be whatever you want. i didnt get that kind of versatility with the ampeg.

4. and of course the power. 350 watts a side into 4 ohms with the carvin, that beats ampeg, and if you want really high power or just dont want to clip your amp, you can bridge it into 1000 watts.

my vote is for the carvin.

10. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    When I bought my Ampeg B4r it actually came down to the Ampeg B4r or a Carvin R1000. I bought the Carvin R1000 and tried it for the 2 week trial period. The carvin is actually a very good amp. Try it with the bass boost turned on and you'll get a fat rumble that will shake the walls:cool:
    The reason I went with the Ampeg B4r was the tone of course but also Ampegs reliability. I have been using Ampegs for 20 years with very little or no problems. YMMV. Also Ampeg's 5 year warranty compared to Carvins 1 year warranty. One other thing was I live in the midwest only about an hour and 1/2 from Saint Louis where Ampegs are made. There are Ampeg dealers and certified repairshops all over the place here. If I needed a repair on the Carvin I would have to send it to California or find a repair shop that would work on it here. Not that easy because most stores don't want to work on something that you bought mail order because they want you to buy from them. This is kind of an unfair comparison because the B2r has only half the power of the carvin R1000. I think I would be leaning towards buying the Ampeg myself. Either way, as long as the amp is in good condition you'll be ok. If you really need the extra power though
    , go with the carvin.

11. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I would get the Carvin. I have tried a B2R against an R600 side by side through the same cab, and for my tastes the Carvin beat the pants off the Ampeg. I would think the R1000 would even beat it a little harder. YMMV, as always.

12. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    You are sure getting mixed replies...

I like Carvin amps too but I prefer the tone of Ampegs so I'd get the Ampeg B2r. But you might not have enough power since you mentioned Suffocation! I saw them live a month ago and they killed...Maybe you can save up a little more and get an SVT head with more power.

13. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    FYI...someone is selling an SVT-III head for $400 in the classified section. Check it out if you're not too late.

14. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Ampeg all the way dude. Carvin gear is good, but Ampeg is elite. If you just want sheer volume with no consideration for tone, you will probably be able to get more boom for your buck from Carvin. I know a guy you uses Carvin gear, and it's LOUD! But if you give an ounce of S%&*T for your tone and you have a sound that's your's, you want Ampeg. I just got an Ampeg SVT-5 Pro after much debating between it and several other brands, and I will never go back to solid state amps. I don't know if the Carvin is solid state, so I'm not knocking it for that. But take it from someone who cares more about getting the exact tone instead of just F*(&ING loud. Ampeg is king!

15. babecker

babecker

Mar 7, 2002
    Sykesville, MD
    Just to second what some others have said: Ampeg will sound better (especially in a rock/metal context) and the Carvin will be louder.

I've played both though, and if I were you I'd get a tube amp.;)

16. for a similar price, i suggest getting a carvin dcm1000power amp which is the same one in the R1000, for 360$ and a sansamp rbi rackmount preamp for 300$. to me this is the best option you got. metal tones, metal power. my drummer is loud as all hell on a 6-piece mapex pro. and hes very familar with suffocation and cryptopsy drumming. i played out of a b2r from my avatar before with the metal band im in. it didn't cut it man, the tone had to much focus on a weird trebly bass. im using the sansamp/carvin rig right now and i can say this **** rips any ampeg for metal IMHO. glad i can help brother, keep the horns up.

17. IF you do go with the carvin (which i also recommend) make sure you put the right ohm load through your cabs. DOn't put too much or too little because you'll blow the fuse or worse the transistor. Like another guy said if you screw it up its hard to find somebody to fix it, unless you live in CA its not a problem.

18. cronus

cronus Guest

Jan 17, 2002
    Romulus, Michigan
    so with 1 4ohm cabinet will i get the full 1000 out of the carvin it is only 1000 bridged....ive read this forum all over about the bridging and it confused me :oops:

19. I just don't know how any one can compare an Ampeg product to a Carvin product. You'll never see Carvin gear on a professional back line. You will see ampeg all the time on SNL, Letterman, Conan, Leno, etc. Ampeg is the real deal.
    You'll resale an ampeg in a heartbeat, but don't hold your breath tryin to get your money back reselling a Carvin.
    I know this will start a flame by a bunch o' Carvin users but it's the truth.
    Peace

20. Bryan_G

Bryan_G

Apr 28, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    mcbassdude is right about the resale. Carvin doesn't hold its value very well.

I would recommend going the pre/pro route. I have owned a r1000. It was a nice amp with a lot of juice, but it just didn't do it for me like what I am running now(svp-pro/plx1602). I bet the dcm1000 would sound fine, and you can pick up a used svp-pro for about $350. I can't compare that to the sansamp, but I know it sounds better then the r1000. Oh, and another thing to keep in mind is doubling the watts only increases the sound level by 3 decibels.