1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A 'What would you do' thread.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by newbold, May 4, 2010.

1. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    So I have a pedalboard with a lot of space on it if I put the Expression pedals on the floor or their own satellite board, and room for 2-3 more tiny/boss style pedals otherwise.

100_0372.

My EP-1's sidechained to be at the end of this chain.

Here's what I'm thinking...

tremolo
    Reverb
    Delay/looper (M9/TimeFactor?)
    Loop Switcher/LS-2
    Front end compressor
    tail end sweetening comp...
    chorus
    Wah
    preamp/DI
    Power supply
    different tuner.

If you were to add FX to my board, what would you put in there?

the only limit is size.

100_0374.

2. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    All of the above. :p Seriously though, the only factor that could narrow down your options is what you happen to like.

3. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    And what music you play or are interested in playing.

4. Is Or Ion

nice

5. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    Thanks for being so considerate, folks but this is a what would YOU do thread, not a 'please help me out cause I can't make up my mind and am rolling in cash' thread.

As far as what I'd like and the music I find myself playing (and then want to play) there's an enormous range.

As far as what I'd like to do/get/have, a blender/switcher, and a preamp/DI tool/swiss army knife, an envelope FILTER, and from all accounts I've read I certainly want a thumpinator to clean up my signal path exactly as I've craved for a long time. Thanks again Bongo for sharing that with us.

I figure that aside from a preamp/DI and a bandwidth optimizer that I'll probably wind up going for a Line6 M9 (or a great delay, looper, tremolo, compressor, filters, chorus, reverb, and flanger)...FWIW, the M9 is probably going to find its way into my possession if I find that I need to upgrade my pedalboard unless I come into some big money, .

I wind up not taking my pedalboard with me when my bass leaves the house for basement jams and acoustic nights even though for some reason people whine about my not bringing it out...could be that when everybody's all tuckered out but still around I'll plug my buddy's acoustic into my pedalboard...so part of that is my guitar playing and part of it is my nice sounding rig (and dirty preamp(OFO) and neato phaser).

Whenever I see a simple pedalboard with a chorus and a sansamp and a tuner I always think about how smart that guy/girl is...

Anyhow, styles of music I like/want to play?

Reggae, funk (broke'n'beat/soul/'dnb', et.al), alt.country/folk rock, rock and roll, and classic rock although I've been listening to more Andrew Bird, Brian Jonestown Massacre, and the Beta Band for a while, so to be realistic and put a label on it, 'Heavy Psych-Groove'.

I'm not looking for pedals that do that one thing (yes I know that I have a bassballs pedal) but pedals that can cover a lot of ground. That's what I'm most into and it really works for me.

But still, this is a 'what would YOU do' thread.

If you'd do anything with what is on my board either adding or subtracting pedals and want to share then this is the place to do it.

And to clarify, I don't think my board is the most awesomest...I just like having different photos to share and think that this could be fun for some people.

6. Kromwarp

Kromwarp

Sep 16, 2008
    Greater Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Master Luthier: Ironclad Bass Guitars
    I would add a Boss TR-2 Tremolo and a Boss RV-5

7. faceinbass

faceinbass

Apr 20, 2008
    KCMO
    EHX ring thing
    zcat delay/chorus/hold
    fxdoctor bass bit fuzz

that is what I would do. :D

8. Eric!

Eric! Commercial User

Jan 22, 2009
    America's High-Five
    Mojo Hand FX
    +1 for the cat!
    I would go higher end for trem, like Cusack or Diamond or Empress or 4ms :)

9. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    those trems are very cool but unless you need tap tempo or other special features, I think the Boss is pretty hard to beat. It also reminds me more of the sound of tube amp tremolo, while most boutique trems have a more "electronic" feeling. There's nothing wrong with that, but it's something to consider

I like the EBS trem too, but it is expensive.

10. A m9 would add A LOT of options on your board.

11. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Don't forget the Iron Ether Cygnet. I haven't tried the Cusack, but I love the Empress, the Diamond is VERY good (both of these two do the very hard chop I like, especially the Diamond) and the Cygnet is REALLY calling my name right now.

To me the 4ms is a step below the others, but then tap tempo control of a trem is very important to me.

The Empress on the tube setting is about as smooth and natural as any trem I've heard. It sounds fantastic. IMO the Boss needs to be modded to correct the volume drop which adds to the price of the TR-2.

I really dug the EBS and the lowpass mode was very cool sounding but the lack of tap tempo and the slight ticking noise on the squarewave mode (at higher depths) were what caused me to sell it.

12. Hipnotic2005

Hipnotic2005

Oct 18, 2009
    Argentina
    vt bass

13. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    faceinbass - awesome. Certainly a way out there approach.

Kromwarp - probably the sleeper hit. Nice.

Hipnotic2005 - probably what I *should* do *with a DI. Mod and a TRS insert point?*

Nice to read responses to this thread.

14. Bardolphus

Bardolphus Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    If it were me...

3 Leaf Groove Regulator or MXR Bass Envelope Filter
    Better tuner - NOT a Boss. Go ahead and spend the extra $30 over the boss and get you a Sonic Research Turbo Tuner. I know it's the "industry standard" but the Boss units are horrible IMHO (+/- 3 cents is unacceptable if you ask me). I'm currently trying to get our front man and guitarist to ditch those things.
    Compressor - although I have not tried one (yet), on the cheap the BBE Octo Stomps are supposed to be a helluva deal (check amazon). However, I'm holding out for a Aguilar TLC.
    EHX Micro POG or POG2 - both feature octave up, something I'd like to have. But, based one what I've read, they can sound a little too "digital" for some folks - especially if coming from a nice analog octave pedal (I have an MXR BOD). Despite that, one of them will find it's way to my board before it's all said and done (price is holding me back on the POG2 since it's over $300 new).
    For DI, I'm a big fan of the Sansamp stuff. I use a rackmounted RBI at the moment and can't see a scenario where I would ever part with it.
    Although not an effect, you ever thought about going wireless? The New Line 6 G-series is some nice stuff. I have a G30 that I've used 3 times now and love it. Better performance than the Shure U4S system I was using (it was no entry level system either).

I'm sure I could find some more stuff but that's all I can think of for now.

15. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    Wireless? Awesome!

What could I put between my Disnortion and my EP-1 not that my Bassballs is in front?

100_0415.

Look at all the room!

16. faceinbass

faceinbass

Apr 20, 2008
    KCMO
    :bassist: The zcat is awesome. I scored one in a trade.
    :bassist: The bass bit fuzz is small and sounds really really good imo.
    :bassist: I have the ringmod on order and well report back, if interested.

17. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Banned

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    Wah pedal is a must for any pedalboard.
    Delay. (DD-3)
    Chorus. (Liquid sound Visual Chorus or Digitech's stop chorus are pretty good)

18. lowregister

lowregister

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison, WI
    Boss DD-7!

19. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    So my pedalboard is about the same size as a Pedaltrain Jr. - and to get things going, don't feel like you need to keep all of these effects on there.

Any new suggestions?